马刺中文论坛
用户名 忘了密码?
密码 注册

马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » Buck Harvey Mailbag: What's wrong with the Spurs? Plenty, according to the readers

主题工具
 2007-01-18 12:43  #1
超级版主

加入日期: 2005-05-07
帖子: 79
现金: 10 盾
Buck Harvey Mailbag: What's wrong with the Spurs? Plenty, according to the readers

Buck Harvey Mailbag: What's wrong with the Spurs? Plenty, according to the readers

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA01172007.WEBbuckharveymailbag.en.4d5d2718.html

Web Posted: 01/17/2007 05:20 PM CST
Buck Harvey
Express-News Staff Writer

What I don’t understand is how nobody writes that Gregg Popovich has turned a team (2003) that could have been a dynasty into an old, slow team that only beats middle of the road teams.

Our bench consisted of Manu Ginobili, Speedy Claxton and others. All we had to do was replace David Robinson and keep everyone else and plug in the holes on the bench. We had a great seven-man rotation.

People also seem to forget we drafted Leandro Barbosa! I read the scouting report on him when he was drafted. I saw the film on him! The report said extremely athletic, good free-throw percentage and his three-point percentage was really good, too! It talked about his incredible quickness. What do we do?

We trade him for a future pick with Phoenix, but we draft Beno Udrih the following year and keep him?

We also got rid of Stephen Jackson, who was young and athletic. But we didn’t want to pay his price, which if you look back would have been a good deal because he has been consistent with Indiana!

Then we sign an old Brent Barry on the decline of his career. He is a set shot artist and if he is not wide open he can’t make a basket! Even then he is inconsistent, and you get no defense out of him.

—Leo, San Antonio

Keeping the 2003 team together wasn’t much of an option. They haven’t replaced Claxton as they should have, but Claxton has not proven to be special elsewhere. Jackson was too expensive considering his downside, and he hasn’t been consistent; Indiana dumped his contract Wednesday partly because of that. And, besides, the Spurs won again in 2005.

As for Barbosa: He would certainly help, but the critical mistake then was not drafting Josh Howard instead of trading the pick to Phoenix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is wrong with the Spurs? With their talent they should win most games, especially those other than against the Suns and the Mavericks. Now they have to watch out for the Nuggets since the acquisition of AI (didn’t the Spurs have a chance at landing him?). If so, no coach/team turns down a regular 30 points a game shooting guard.

Oh well... perhaps we should be looking at Pop for an answer. I watch most games on TV and here it is nearly halfway through the season, and he is still trying to figure out who his starting five will be.

One thing for certain is that a winning team has to work together all of the time, but Pop starts almost every game with a different lineup. It is nice that he has all of that talent, but he should know which five works the best by now.

Also, some of the last-minute plays are not the norm. It is so obvious that he favors Tim Duncan, but even some of his players off the bench can initiate that final shot at the buzzer, especially when you need a three to tie or win. No one really dominates the Spurs. You never know who is coming to play.

—Don Cork, New Braunfels

The Spurs never tried to trade for Iverson for several reasons. One, he would have been an awful fit, and, two, they would have had to give up several large salaries (such as Ginobili’s or Tony Parker’s) to get him.

Besides, is Denver the concern in the lower half of the bracket in the West? Or is it Houston, the Lakers and the Clippers?

Popovich juggles his lineups, all right, but that’s become an annual event. He usually experiments until the All-Star Game, then tries to set his rotation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been following the Spurs for 15 years, and the Spurs are really an enigma for me these days.

I try to avoid the age issue, but it looks more and more clear that is one major problem. While I love everything that Bruce Bowen stands for, I don’t see him as dominant as he was on defense. Without him a constant threat on the offensive side and no longer a shut down defender, at what point does he become a liability?

I have seen a serious drop off on defense and hustle since Francisco Elson went down. Last thing, Timmy confuses me sometimes. I never see him going glass anymore from about 10 feet. Why not?

—Jamie Trent, Virginia

Bowen is not a liability yet; there are times he doesn’t look as he did a few years ago, but coaches say they don’t see the same drop off.

They have missed Elson, but they have enough bodies to make up for him.

And Duncan has gone away from his bank shot for about a year now. Why? The answer is as simple as Duncan preferring to do something else with the ball.

I was wondering if you think the Spurs are going to make any moves before the trade deadline? They need some more athleticism, better rebounding and a slasher.

Of course this could all come with one player. People like Finley, Barry and Robert Horry are just too old, and it shows when they try to guard younger players.

I would keep the big three and Elson, AND EVERYBODY else is expendable provided you are getting something worthwhile in return. I don’t think it would be wise to go into the playoffs with the existing roster, just my opinion.

Finley, Barry and Horry can each still contribute to a winner. But the combination is old.

From what I hear, the Spurs are looking to make a deal.

What are the Spurs’ chances of landing either of the following:

Carlos Delfino of the Pistons (a poor man’s Manu who plays team ball), Quinton Ross of the Clippers (a defensive-minded player) or Luke Walton of the Lakers (who is very smart/clever player who would fit great, in my opinion).

All three can play the small-forward position and do not require the ball. If we can move Barry and fillers for either player, I think we would upgrade the bench (Finley to backup shooting guard) and get younger, without compromising salary cap. Your thoughts please.

—Pablo Davila

Each player earns less than $1.2 million this season, meaning each is a bargain and thus unlikely to be offered in a trade – at least for anything the Spurs have at an approximate price.

Why don’t the Spurs invest more time and effort in developing James White? Though he is only a rookie, with the proper exposure he might be able to contribute off the bench come playoff time -- particularly against extremely athletic teams like the Mavs and the Suns. The Spurs certainly got a few critical contributions from Devin Brown a couple of years ago, and White is supposed to be much more athletic.
—Darren Harrington

From what I understand, the Spurs are trying to develop White.

Being athletic is always a plus. So is knowing what to do.
Buzzer离线中  
 2007-01-18 21:09  #2
管理员

加入日期: 2004-04-25
帖子: 4439
现金: 42 盾
回复: Buck Harvey Mailbag: What's wrong with the Spurs? Plenty, according to the readers

同情 Buck Harvey…… orz
香瓜现在在线  
 2007-01-18 21:38  #3
潜水中

加入日期: 2005-01-07
帖子: 2631
现金: 936 盾
回复: Buck Harvey Mailbag: What's wrong with the Spurs? Plenty, according to the readers

-___-

きっとそこには 泣いた分の 笑顔が待ってる
summerflower离线中  

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启