TCT的头像

加入日期: 2006-05-20
帖子: 1121
现金: 0 盾
[转帖] Spurs see Blair as steal

Spurs see Blair as steal

Web Posted: 06/25/2009 10:03 CDT
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

In a different world, with a different medical sheet, Pittsburgh forward DeJuan Blair might have been a lottery pick.

Blessed with an instinctive rebounding ability but cursed with two surgically repaired knees, Blair instead slipped to the second round of Thursday night's NBA draft.

The Spurs were waiting. And almost salivating.

When Blair was still on the board at No. 37, the Spurs — after a long wait just to get on the clock — wasted little time in using their first pick of the night to try and fill their most pressing need.

「They were the one team that believed in me,」 Blair said by phone late Thursday night. 「Since they believed in me, I'm going to give them 1000 percent.」

The Spurs are hopeful that Blair, 6-foot-7 with an ever-running motor, can help provide depth for a frontcourt depleted by this week's trade for swingman Richard Jefferson.

The Big East Co-Player of the Year as a sophomore last season, Blair averaged 15.3 points and 12.3 rebounds, and led the nation on the offensive glass.

The Spurs did not expect him to still be on the board so late in the draft.

「I don't think anybody in our group expected that,」 general manager R.C. Buford said. 「You don't find a guy like that falling very often.」

The Spurs have an obvious need on the frontcourt after including big men Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto in the trade that brought Jefferson from Milwaukee on Tuesday. Blair said  he believes he can bring some of the toughness and rebounding that Thomas once provided.

Projected as a first-round pick, Blair's stock fell due to red flags on his medical report. He played two seasons at Pitt on a pair of knees reconstructed in high school after twin ACL injuries.

「There's no secret there's a medical issue there,」 Buford said. 「We were the fortunate recipient of that. We've got a great medical staff, and we'll have him on a great program here.」

Earlier in the day, the Spurs had explored ways to move into the first round, but could not find a deal to their liking. In the end, the Spurs felt lucky to have been forced to stick with their hand.

After selecting Blair, the Spurs used their remaining two picks on guards, selecting Miami gunner Jack McClinton with the 51st pick and using the 53rd pick on Nando De Colo, a 21-year-old from France.

They would have been glad to take either at No. 37, had Blair not fallen into their lap.

McClinton, a 6-foot-1 sharpshooter, set an ACC record by hitting 44 percent of his 3-pointers in three seasons with the Hurricanes. The Spurs were also impressed with McClinton's defensive abilities, with Buford calling him 「the best defender we worked out」 during draft preparation.

De Colo, who spent last season playing in the French A-League, is likely to remain overseas for the time being.

McClinton projects as a specialty player, Eddie House with a defensive edge. By phone Thursday night, he said he is looking forward to the challenge of making the Spurs' roster.

「That's my plan,」 McClinton said. 「I'm going to continue to work hard and prove the critics wrong. I belong in that league. Nothing's going to stop me from getting to where I want to go.」

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_take_Pitts_Blair.html
TCT离线中   引用
 2009-06-27 22:25  #2
believe

界灵fsa的头像

加入日期: 2006-09-02
帖子: 3235
现金: 161 盾
回复: [转帖] Spurs see Blair as steal

spurs saw duncan as a steal
界灵fsa离线中   引用
 2009-06-27 22:48  #3