加入日期: 2004-04-25
帖子: 4429
现金: 40 盾
香瓜 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第13名
[E-N]McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spur

Web Posted: 10/01/2009 12:00 CDT
McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spurs
By Mike Monroe- Express-News

In the 2 1/2 months that passed between his final game as a Detroit Piston and his first day as a San Antonio Spur, Antonio McDyess contemplated his future in the NBA.

His conclusion, reached in the hours before the free-agent market opened on July 1: Unless he got a contract offer from the Spurs, he would retire, giving up on his quest for an NBA championship ring after 13 seasons.

“That’s how strong I felt about coming here,” said McDyess, the 6-foot-9 veteran who figures to be the team’s starting center on opening night.

The Spurs felt strongly enough about adding McDyess to their reshaped roster to offer him a three-year contract worth about $15 million.

Both sides feel fortunate to finally have connected.

“There have been years when I’ve been trying to come here before, but they turned me down,” McDyess said. “I feel privileged to be here.”

General manger R.C. Buford put together the deal that made McDyess a member of the Spurs.

“We’ve admired him as a player for a long time,” Buford said. “We’ve always thought he would be a good fit with our group. We’re glad the time has come that we’re able to work together.”

The formal courtship of McDyess was relatively simple: a to-the-point negotiation between Buford and agent Andy Miller and a few phone calls and text messages from Tim Duncan, the Spurs’ two-time NBA Most Valuable Player.

A man of few words, McDyess appreciated the simplicity of Duncan’s recruiting pitch.

“What did I tell him?” Duncan said. “Come to the Spurs. We’d love to have you.”

The way McDyess sees it, Duncan should feel obligated to help him finally achieve his career goal of winning an NBA title.

“He took a championship ring away from me back in 2005,” said McDyess, a key player on the Pistons team the Spurs defeated in a memorable, seven-game NBA Finals. “He’s got his four rings.”

McDyess does have something Duncan covets: a gold medal from the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney.

Duncan was to have been on the 2000 U.S. team, but had to drop off the squad when rehabilitation after an April knee operation did not progress quickly enough to allow full participation in the Olympic tournament.

McDyess replaced Duncan and was one of the heroes of an Olympic semifinal victory over Lithuania, when his offensive rebound and putback basket provided the game-winning points.

He still counts standing atop the Olympic medal platform in Sydney as the highlight of his basketball career.

Nevertheless, he would trade that gold medal for one of the four rings Duncan has.

“I don’t think about that Olympic thing,” McDyess said. “I always think about that Game 7 in ’05, seeing Tim and the other Spurs celebrating. So I think we’re pretty much even.”

Now that he is one of Duncan’s teammates, McDyess says he is willing to do whatever the Spurs ask of him. That includes playing center, despite being a couple of inches shorter than Duncan, who prefers playing the power forward spot he calls “my unnatural position.”

“It’s nothing new to me,” McDyess said. “I played center in Detroit, too. Sheed (Rasheed Wallace) did the same thing. I’m just trying to get in where I fit. I don’t set expectations to be on the court a certain time or play a certain position. I just want to be out there and play.”

McDyess admits he came to camp needing to get in regular-season game shape, strictly by design.

“I don’t kill myself during the summer to try to come into training camp and do the same thing.” he said. “I just calm down in the summer and save my legs for the end of the year.”

Find this article at:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/McDyess_feels_privileged_to_be_with_Spurs.html
香瓜现在在线   引用
 2009-10-01 18:24  #2
管理员

加入日期: 2004-04-25
帖子: 4429
现金: 40 盾
香瓜 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第13名
回复: [E-N]McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spur

Antonio McDyess

* Positions: Center, forward
* College: Alabama
* How acquired: Signed with Spurs on July 8
* Experience: No. 2 overall pick by Clippers in 1995 and traded to Nuggets on draft day. ... Also played for Suns, Knicks and past five seasons with Pistons.
* Last time out: Had 26 points, 10 rebounds in Game 4 as Detroit was swept in the first-round by the Cavaliers.
* Did you know? Nine players taken in the 1995 first round have been Spurs. McDyess, Theo Ratliff (No. 18) and Michael Finley (21) this year, and previously Damon Stoudamire (7), Kurt Thomas (10), Cherokee Parks (12), Eric Williams (14), Brent Barry (15) and Cory Alexander (29).
香瓜现在在线   引用
 2009-10-01 19:09  #3
believe

界灵fsa的头像

加入日期: 2006-09-02
帖子: 3235
现金: 161 盾
回复: [E-N]McDyess feels ‘privileged’ to be with Spur

引用:
“There have been years when I’ve been trying to come here before, but they turned me down,” McDyess said. “I feel privileged to be here.”

想来的话,去年又不来……
引用:
“We’ve admired him as a player for a long time,” Buford said. “We’ve always thought he would be a good fit with our group. We’re glad the time has come that we’re able to work together.”

kurt来的时候,pop说过类似的话……
界灵fsa离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转