加入日期: 2004-04-25
帖子: 4429
现金: 60 盾
香瓜 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第13名
[E-N]10.3 Spurs can't wait to see Ratliff at the rim

Web Posted: 10/03/2009 12:00 CDT
Spurs can't wait to see Ratliff at the rim
By Jeff McDonald- Express-News

The path to the basket was clear, or so Marcus Haislip thought. He took one dribble, then two, then lifted off to attempt the sort of teeth-chattering dunks that had made him a YouTube mainstay during his 31/2 seasons in Europe.

A funny thing happened on Haislip's way to the basket during a recent Spurs intrasquad scrimmage.

“Somebody came out of nowhere,” Haislip said, “and blocked it.”

It took Haislip a few moments to figure out who that somebody was. In retrospect, he probably could have guessed.

“That's been my calling card my whole career,” Theo Ratliff said.

Ratliff, a 6-foot-10 reserve center and former NBA shot-blocking champion, was an under-the-radar acquisition for the Spurs this offseason. Certainly, he was not as fawned-over as fellow newcomers Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess or DeJuan Blair.

Yet if Ratliff has just a few more blocked shots left in his 36-year-old hands, he will have earned every cent the Spurs spent to get him here. The 14-year veteran is poised to bring to San Antonio something the Spurs haven't had since David Robinson last hung up his Nikes: another intimidating rim defender to complement Tim Duncan.

Less than a week into training camp, Ratliff has already made his presence felt — and not just by Haislip.

“He makes you change the way you shoot,” Manu Ginobili said. “We haven't had that in the last few years, ever since 5-0 (Robinson) left. It's good to have a shot-blocker like that.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich hopes Ratliff's come-from-nowhere block on Haislip is a sign of things to come. The Spurs were the league's fourth-worst shot-blocking team last season, averaging four per game.

“It was nice to see,” Popovich said. “Timmy needs somebody else to be doing that. He can't be the only guy doing it all the time.”

The additions of Ratliff and McDyess, another respected low-post defender, were part of an offseason makeover meant to restore the Spurs to the realm of elite defensive teams.

The Spurs finished ninth in the league in field goal percentage defense last season (45.3), their lowest rank in 11 seasons under Popovich. Popovich has made it a professed goal this season to get back into the top two or three in the league.

Though not quite the player he was in his prime, Ratliff could play a significant role in getting the Spurs there.

As the Denver Nuggets proved last season, a shot blocker or two can improve a team's overall defensive outlook significantly. Almost overnight, Denver became a top-5 defensive team thanks in large measure to the shot-blocking work of Chris Andersen and Nenê.

Ratliff's eyes twinkle when told of Popovich's plan to re-emphasize defense this season.

“That's my forté,” said Ratliff, who logged 47 blocks in 46 games with Philadelphia last season. “That's been me my whole career. I know that's what I'm good at, and what they brought me here to do.”

Just in case there was any doubt, however, Ratliff showcased as much in one of his first training camp practices with the Spurs. A few days later, Haislip was still disputing the legality of Ratliff's block.

“I think it was goaltending,” Haislip said, “but Theo's a veteran, so he's going to get those calls over me.”

If Haislip was surprised to see Ratliff get to the ball, well, so was Ratliff.

After all, Haislip is one of the top athletes the Spurs have in camp this year. Ratliff is a creaky vet still in the “getting warmed up” phase of his preseason.

“I guess I've still got some hops in my legs,” Ratliff said. “I didn't know I'd be able to do that this early in camp.”

If the Spurs get their wish, it won't be the last time Ratliff surprises somebody at the rim this season.
THEO RATLIFF

Position: Center

College: Wyoming

How acquired: Signed with Spurs on July 25

Experience: The Spurs are his seventh NBA stop since the Pistons took him No. 18 overall in 1995, and he’s had two stints in Detroit and Philadelphia.

By the numbers: Averages 2.5 blocks for his career, which spans 751 games and 39 playoff games. He’s one of seven to lead the NBA in blocked shots per game at least three times.

Did you know? Was chosen for 2001 All-Star Game for East, but didn’t play because of injured wrist. ... He and his wife, Kristina, have six children.

Find this article at:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_cant_wait_to_see_Ratliff_at_the_rim.html
香瓜离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转

马刺中文网 - 始于2004年 - 网站地图 - Go Spurs Go!