Thx, Bruce

xinsuimadong的头像

加入日期: 2005-03-19
帖子: 1819
现金: 780 盾
xinsuimadong 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第16名
A reason Ginobili will want to be back

Buck Harvey - Buck Harvey

The Spurs will want to re-sign the Manu Ginobili of Wednesday.

But that's not the issue.

Will Ginobili want to re-sign with the Spurs of Wednesday?

Maybe he would like to play with a team that can beat the Jazz at least once a season. Maybe he'd like to play with LeBron James, for example, and start over in a new city.

A story this week out of Argentina suggests starting over might appeal to Ginobili.

If he remains healthy, Ginobili will have options. But when it comes time to make a decision this summer, Ginobili will likely remember his past seven years in San Antonio, as well as Wednesday.

Then, he was allowed to play the way he likes to play.

Next summer is a lot of games away. That's why the Spurs chose to wait until then before offering a new contract to Ginobili. Another ankle or leg injury could stop him from being the Ginobili of Wednesday.

Everyone understood this was the status of the negotiations, and Ginobili confirmed this in an interview with an Argentine newspaper. When Ginobili also said he didn't see an extension coming, some thought this meant he was finished as a Spur.

He clarified that Wednesday. What he said “does not mean my days as a Spur are over.”

Still, Ginobili acted as if that were possible. He told the Argentine newspaper his relationship with the Spurs is different than what he once thought it was. He thought, because he had bled and sacrificed with the Spurs, he had something like he had with his Argentina national team.

“But this year, I realized that this is a business,” he said. “At the beginning, I was hurt, but now I understand how it works.”

Ginobili should have understood this when he signed his paycheck. Gregg Popovich preaches family, but the bottom line is unavoidable. It's about winning, and an injured Ginobili can't.

As for Ginobili's sense of loyalty, the Spurs can turn that around. When Ginobili chose to play in Beijing with a pre-existing injury, he had put the team at risk.

So there was likely some friction on both sides, and maybe this makes Ginobili look elsewhere. The Spurs can pay him more money than most others, but Ginobili has never been about that.

He wants to win, and Cleveland could be an option. This new city would come with an old coach, too. Mike Brown would find a place for Ginobili.

But if Ginobili signed to play with a contender, he would sign on to do less. Wouldn't LeBron — or Kobe Bryant — dictate when it matters?

Ginobili has gotten to do that in San Antonio, and he did Wednesday. Ginobili checked in with the Spurs down 12-0, and he directed a remarkable 25-0 run.

“I had no idea,” he said of the extent of the streak, “until someone told me at halftime.”

Just as remarkable, that wasn't enough.

Still, Ginobili ended with 22 points and eight assists, and the only difference this time was that Dick Vitale was on hand to gush. This is what Ginobili has done through three championships, and this is how the franchise was built to win.

He leads in crunch time. Others follow.

Utah knows this firsthand. In Game 4 of the 2007 Western Conference finals, in Salt Lake City, Ginobili scored 16 fourth-quarter points. That gave the Spurs a 3-1 series lead and the defining push toward their last Finals.

Of course, that was the Ginobili of 2007, and injuries have made the Spurs wonder if he will be that again. But the Ginobili of Wednesday showed what is possible.

Both to the Spurs and to him.

bharvey@express-news.net
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/A_reason_Ginobili_will_want_to_be_back.html
"It was a great series, and we felt that,In all honesty, even in defeat, I'm starting to enjoy what our group accomplished already. It's no fun to lose, but we lost to a better team. And you can live with that as long as you've given your best. And I think we have." by Popovich
xinsuimadong离线中   引用
 2010-01-21 19:35  #2
Thx, Bruce

xinsuimadong的头像

加入日期: 2005-03-19
帖子: 1819
现金: 780 盾
xinsuimadong 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第16名
回复: A reason Ginobili will want to be back

done
xinsuimadong离线中   引用

主题工具