马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » 2.13 Spurs Mailbag

主题工具
 2007-02-13 12:51  #1
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
2.13 Spurs Mailbag

Spurs Mailbag

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021207.webSpursMailbag.en.790e5af2.html

Web Posted: 02/12/2007 07:15 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Allow me to apologize to those who had emailed the previous two weeks. My laptop went the way of the Spurs. Long past its prime and unable to keep up with younger, faster models, it crashed Wednesday night, taking with it 40-plus inches of prose carefully crafted in response to your questions.

The computer experts at our office think they might be able to retrieve my files, but I’m not as optimistic. At the least, the computer – much like the roster of the team I cover – appears in dire need of an overhaul. And I’m not expecting either to rebound anytime soon.

I have, however, received a handful of queries over the past few days – consecutive losses always seem to get the keyboards humming – worth answering.

Now, on to your letters …

What is happening in the locker room that is disrupting the Spurs?Maria, Kenedy

Aside from watching each other calcify, everything’s fine. By “fine” I mean the locker room hasn’t splintered yet.

There’s been a little grumbling over Tony’s shot count and Pop’s ever-changing rotation, but you heard the same complaints in past seasons even when the Spurs were rolling. For the most part, the team continues to play hard and support one another.

Losing, however, breeds second-guessing, so there’s still plenty of time for the wheels to come off. The Spurs’ frustration level has obviously risen, especially considering they thought they were “turning the corner” last week.

But even that can be construed as both a negative and a positive. While the frustration can take a toll on the players’ morale, it’s also a sign they haven’t accepted losing.

Of course, the fact I’m trying to pitch “well, at least they haven’t accepted losing” as a positive also says something about the team’s state.

How could the Spurs possibly be contending for a championship when for almost every (important) game they either: lead big early, give up the lead and lose; or fall behind early, attempt a comeback, and lose?

Two words that most accurately describe the 2006-07 Spurs are “undisciplined” and “unfocused.” Do you agree?
Nonso Okafo, Norfolk, Va.

I would choose two other words: “gravity” and “challenged.”

Once in a while it seems that Bruce would be better off to dunk the ball, but I have never seen him do it. Why not?Bob Voreis, Brownsville

See above.

My favorite Spur is Beno Udrih. Why do you think he doesn’t get the playing time he deserves? And what do you think his chances are for remaining a Spur next year?Tara, Callicoon, N.Y.

I’m not even sure Beno’s going to remain a Spur by the end of next week, so I’m not going to bother speculating on next season.

When I asked Pop about his no-trades statement a couple of weeks ago, he said the team might still deal one of its peripheral players. And judging from Beno’s seat on the end of the bench these days, he’s about as peripheral as you can get.

As for your first question, there are some who would argue Beno is getting the playing time he deserves. When he was receiving a steady diet of 15 or so minutes a night, he didn’t do much with them.

In defense of Beno, Pop hasn’t done much to help his confidence. It took less than a week of training camp for Pop to call him the team’s “fourth point guard” and he hasn’t exactly been emailing him daily kudos since.

There’s no question Beno is skilled. I’m just not sure he’s a Pop-type player.

Do you think you are going to the Finals because you are doing good this year?Ramon Lopez, Texas

Thanks for the compliment, Ramon. But I cover the Finals only if the Spurs go. So, no, I’m not planning on attending this season.

With the rebounding issues the Spurs are having, how big is the loss of [url=https://www.chinaspurs.com/players/matt_bonner][url=https://www.chinaspurs.com/players/matt_bonner]Bonner right now and how much do you think he can help the team with his desire and energy?Mike Walker, Cary, N.C.

Though [url=https://www.chinaspurs.com/players/matt_bonner][url=https://www.chinaspurs.com/players/matt_bonner]Bonner had only recently begun to get consistent minutes before he was hurt, I thought his loss was a fairly substantial blow for the reasons you just mentioned.

That’s not to say the Spurs are going to turn into a juggernaut as soon as he returns (which could be this week). But they certainly could use someone scrapping and keeping rebounds alive.

[url=https://www.chinaspurs.com/players/matt_bonner][url=https://www.chinaspurs.com/players/matt_bonner]Bonner, as Robert Horry said, also is the type of guy that everyone likes to see do well. And it’s often those kind of guys who can inspire a team with their hustle.

Will Robert Horry retire at the end of the season? I've noticed that his minutes are less and less.

Also, I would like to order original Horry products. What is the best source?
Clem Brown Jr., Graniteville, S.C.

Even though he still has another year left on his contract, Rob has said he’s seriously considering retiring at the end of this season. If I was going to bet right now, I’d go with that.

But I’m also the same person who, with about two minutes left in the third quarter of Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals, turned to Buck Harvey on press row and said, “Man, Rob is DONE. He’s got nothing left. It’s a shame he has to go out this way.”

Then, of course, I proceeded to watch him deliver one of the greatest clutch performances I’ve ever witnessed.

So, in other words, I’m not burying the guy again until I see the coffin.

(As you will learn soon enough, this is a common theme with me. I’m rarely right on anything. I thought it was a wise move to chase Jason Kidd even at the expense of a draft pick. I thought the Spurs should have signed Joel Przybilla – that’s Joel “I’m Averaging 2.1 Points And 3.9 Rebounds” Przybilla – to a $30 million contract. I thought they shouldn’t waste their time with Chris Webber. If the Spurs were really smart, they’d run every personnel decision by me then just do the opposite.)

As for finding Robert Horry merchandise, I can only suggest NBAstore.com or contacting the Spurs’ AT&T Center store, which has a link off the team’s web page. Or do what I always do when I need to buy something: Put the item name in Google, press enter and see what comes up.

When will someone other than Duncan, Parker or Manu step up and give this team a lift? Message to all players: Stop standing around and picking your nose and play solid defense.David Rendon, San Antonio

That, my friend, is the biggest question facing the team and one I am unable to answer. The supporting cast has delivered too infrequently this season. It also hasn’t helped that on some nights the Big 3 looks like the Big 1½.

I still think the Spurs are capable of challenging if their three stars align more often. AND if they give some consistent production from another source.

What I don’t know, however, is if that source is on the roster.

Oh, and I’ll forward your nose-picking concerns to the team.

What do you think about Manu this year? I think that he is not having a good year, but I don’t know why. What do you think about it?Nestor Ferrer, Alicante

I’ve said this before and I still believe it: I think Manu is at least as deserving of an All-Star bid as Tony.

He’s still a streaky shooter at times, but he’s having the best season of his career numbers-wise. And I swear the guy plays big in nearly every big game. Of course, the problem is the Spurs have lost a lot of those games.

Here’s all you need to know about how much faith Pop has in Manu: Even though Manu shot poorly and had just seven points Friday in Orlando, Pop wanted the ball in his hands in the closing seconds with the game tied.

Where is the passion that I've always known the Spurs to have?

It just doesn't seem to be there. This team is tough to beat when the passion is there but these days I'm just not feelin’ it from them.

The fans have it. I live in Southern California and on my street there are four homes that proudly fly the black-and-silver flag of the Spurs. Duncan is KING to us.

We've got to get that passion back on the court and we need to bring it before the playoffs.
Diane, Los Altos, Calif.

I agree that on some nights the Spurs look like a veteran-heavy team that’s been through too many playoff battles to find any sense of urgency in the regular season. But that’s what they are.

I also don’t think that’s their biggest problem. Passion can carry you only so far if you’re short on athleticism or talent.

And while I don’t doubt the enthusiasm of you and your SoCal friends – who should be mighty popular in Lakers country – the energy at the AT&T Center has been lacking considerably. I also don’t think all of it should be attributed to the team’s lackluster play.

It’s my opinion a segment of the Spurs’ fan base, perhaps like the team itself, has gone stale. My solution? More AC/DC.

小7在文章标题上面加注日期是个好主意,恩

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启