马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » [精华]Kindly Cast Your Spell On Us Now, Tim Duncan

主题工具
 2007-06-01 21:13  #1
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
[精华]Kindly Cast Your Spell On Us Now, Tim Duncan

Kindly Cast Your Spell On Us Now, Tim Duncan

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-135/Kindly-Cast-Your-Spell-On-Us-Now--Tim-Duncan.html

May 30, 2007 6:16 PM

Work your magic, big Merlin.
(Getty Images)

Yesterday I asked you to send me links to the most enlightening Tim Duncan articles, interviews, and videos that you could find.

The NBA's reality is that we are deep into the Tim Duncan era -- he is the dominant player of the day -- and yet whenever he is on TV almost no one wants to watch. This year's Finals promise to deliver low ratings.

My knee-jerk response is: watch! Watch him, specifically. Watch tonight. What he does is truly amazing. He owns that paint. And he's so unbelievably efficient. If you get in a certain mood, it's stunning to see.

But I realize that's not for everyone, and unless people can find something to latch onto from this man's character, the "cardboard personality" factor could continue crippling the league for years to come.

But it's a myth that he isn't fascinating. He just isn't comfortable being fascinating in a way that works for typical sports media. (In fact, I think you could make the case that he knows exactly how to be fascinating, but is calculating and intentionally not so.)

The interesting stuff is in there, for sure. It's just not easy to find. TrueHoop reader Terremoto sent me an email that makes it frightfully clear to me how Tim Duncan needs to be marketed to the world: as a wizard. I'm serious! Terremoto writes:

引用:
Tim Duncan is the NBA's first superstar nerd. I find it very interesting that Tim Duncan's off the court pursuits include sword and knife collecting, Dungeons & Dragons, fantasy videogames & paintball. Add to that, dude's got a freakin' tattoo of Merlin from Arthurian lore! His other tat is of a Skeleton Jester. No barbed wire or homages to dead relatives here. Just pure (and endearing) D&D nerdcore.

Another NERDCORE story: He wanted his nickname to be "Merlin" when he first got to the league, but his teammates weren't having it.

Wizard. Merlin. D&D. Nerdcore (a word I am using for the first time right now.) Love it or hate it, it's the first true thing about Tim Duncan that everyone can understand in a heartbeat. Everyone knows a dude or two like that.

And that is really him.

I want to see him in a Wizard costume, casting spells, at every NBA event until further notice.

Of course, readers sent me far more than just that.

One of the best stories out there is this documentary about his relationship with Gregg Popovich. Tim Duncan is a good person -- the kind of person who should be celebrated as a role model. Isn't that what we always said we wanted from our basketball players?

S.L. Price wrote a nice Duncan story called "The Quiet Man" (should be here, although link doesn't seem to work at the moment) about Duncan when he was named Sportsman of the Year with his teammate David Robinson. It includes this insightful passage:

引用:
Television ratings for the 2003 NBA Finals were down one third from the year before--down, in fact, to their lowest level since the Nielsen rating system began keeping track of the Finals in 1976. Only one thing had changed since 2002: The small-market Spurs, led by Duncan, were back. Here he was at last, the athlete all the moralists and parents and columnists had been seeking for years, the role model, the anti-Me-Me-Me man, finally coming into his own, showcasing the type of game that hoops aficionados had feared was passing into history. But when it came time to watch, Duncan was found lacking.

Does he have to talk the talk, too? Maybe the NBA, in seeking to jack up ratings with years of personality marketing (Shaq! Michael! The Showdown!), has sold the game so far down the river that excellence isn't enough anymore. Maybe Duncan is the litmus test for separating the pure fan from those who are there for the spectacle. Maybe we like (or need) to watch a superstar perp-walk into a police station. Maybe, in the end, we say we value one thing--teamwork, humility, good citizenship--but really want its opposite and switching channels makes it easy to avoid the obvious. Nobody likes being caught in a lie.

This is, I am told (and would love confirmation UPDATE: Not only is it real, but the writer who helped make the assignment reality was none other than my old HOOP colleague Darryl Howerton who is a role model of Tim Duncan appreciation), Tim Duncan's psychoanalysis of himself, from the 1998 lockout, which was published in the March 1999 issue of Sport magazine. As reproduced on a blog I have never heard of, here is a key excerpt:

引用:
I'm sure that right now you are all thinking that I must be crazy. But, I assure you, I am normal, I told you I just am always thinking, sometimes about really crazy random things. But in all seriousness, it really should be difficult for me to be too strange. After all, a great family raised me. I had great friends, support and teaching at Wake Forest. I came to a first-class organization in the Spurs family. My best friend from college, Marc Scott, is my business manager, handling my day-to-day operations. And my agent is an attorney by the name of Lon Babby, who also represents players such as Grant Hill and Nikki McCray. I have the loving support of my girlfriend who still attends Wake Forest and is nearing graduation. She helps me cope with the everyday rigors of being an NBA player.

I'm surrounded by nothing but great people. I've been blessed with that, so really, I've got no choice but to be an all-around good person.

At this point, if I were to psychoanalyze myself, I'd have to say I am a clown, cleverly disguised as a regular person. I enjoy jokes, smiling, and making people smile. I may be a little different, but that's OK, who wants to be normal anyway?

There's a whole bunch more Tim Duncan insight out there. For instance:

·Video evidence he's a bit of a goofball. And if a poem to brisket doesn't prove it, nothing will.

·Listen to the audio at the end of this Lang Whitaker post, and you'll hear that he cooks, and is proud of his green bean casserole.

·Duncan has an online diary that he updates a couple times a decade. What can you learn from that? Stuff like he likes spending time with his wife and dogs (one of which, I have heard, is a "cockapoo").

·Here is Tim Duncan on video talking about his promise to his deceased mom to stay in school.

·Here is a whole mess of Tim Duncan factoids and speculation (Did he take a Chinese course at Wake Forest to impress a woman? Does he dress up for Renaissance Fairs? Does he ride four-wheelers with friends around his house in Texas?) from sources of varying credibility.

·This Associated Press article gives a sense of the classy way he relates to people off the court.

·Remember when he was in major national ad campaigns?

·Tim Duncan, professional wrestling fan, certainly appreciates showmanship in other venues. Let's fit him for that wizard costume. Seven feet tall, in silver and black, please.

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用
 2007-06-01 22:06  #2
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
回复: [精华]Kindly Cast Your Spell On Us Now, Tim Duncan

Duncan thinks WWE is a slam dunk

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/duncanwwe

By Ed Williams III
July 17, 2006

Every NBA fan already knows that Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs is arguably the best player in the NBA, but what they may not know is that the three-time NBA Champion is also a huge WWE fan. Since RAW was at the AT&T Center, the Spurs’ home arena, it was only fitting that Duncan was on hand.

And it’s also fitting that one of his favorite Superstars is San Antonio’s own Shawn Michaels.

“I watch (WWE) all the time,” said the two-time NBA Most Valuable Player. “I’ve met (Shawn Michaels) a couple different times, and I love to come see the (Superstars). I also love seeing Ric (Flair).”

Also the NBA Finals MVP in 1999, 2003 and 2005, Duncan is no stranger to capacity crowds and rabid fans, but he says nothing compares to a WWE crowd.

“Wrestling fans are so crazy,” said Duncan, one of only 10 NBA players to win the MVP award more than once. “Everywhere you go, it’s a packed house. It’s awesome. It’s just a great show to see.”

Odom reconnects with prized recruit Duncan

http://www.sportingnews.com/cbasketball/articles/20051012/660991-p.html

October 12, 2005
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- San Antonio's preseason game with Philadelphia gave South Carolina coach Dave Odom a chance to soak up some time with one of his favorite players, Spurs' megastar Tim Duncan.

Duncan ate dinner at Odom's home Tuesday night and the pair talked to the Gamecocks hours before tipoff Wednesday night.

"As proud as I am of his accomplishments, and nobody could be prouder, I am more proud that the most fun he has is with me, sitting in my den with my wife and I, talking good times with his shoes off, a T-shirt on," Odom said while watching Duncan during pregame warmups at the Colonial Center here. "And he had the courtesy to call me in advance and say, 'I've just got sweats. Is that going to be OK?"'

Duncan is perhaps the most prized player Odom recruited in a long coaching career at Wake Forest, and during the past four seasons with the Gamecocks.

But Duncan's true beauty, his former coach says, lies in his manners, politeness and the way he conducts himself in the NBA world.

"I told my team today ... I want each one of my players, when they're gone, to feel that way," Odom said. "I am so pleased to see him happy at who he is."

Duncan was happy to spend time with the ex-Demon Deacons coach.

"I haven't been around him in so long, not for anything other than our paths just haven't crossed," Duncan said after the Spurs' 100-88 loss to Philadelphia at the Colonial Center. "It's just great to have some time to visit with Lynn and himself. It was great."

Besides the dinner visit, Duncan came by during informal Gamecock meetings to say hello to Odom's players. At one point, Odom said Duncan got on the floor and played the part of defender as South Carolina's big men drove at the NBA Finals MVP. "They all posted him up," Odom said. "But he was nice enough to let them do it."

The Spurs' preseason has so far been a tribute to their best player. They trained in the Virgin Islands, where Duncan was born and their second exhibition game was played at the home of Duncan's college coach. Next up for the Spurs is a game with Washington at Wake Forest, someplace Duncan hasn't played since leaving.

"You can only like the guy so much," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "After a while, it's 'OK, OK, we get it.' It's like a farewell tour."

Duncan's the last guy who needs such perks, Popovich said. "He's so shy and introverted about success," the coach said.

Odom hadn't lost his coach's touch with his former star, even stepping in to refine part of Duncan's game. "The Spurs said they wanted to work on his lefty hook shot," Odom joked.

There wasn't much for San Antonio to do after drafting Duncan in the first round of the 1997 draft, except put him in the starting lineup and collect NBA championships.

Popovich said Odom is a big reason for that.

Duncan "was very fundamentally sound," Popovich said. "We didn't make him that way. He just continued it for us."

Back to Business

http://www.slamduncan.com/diary-business.php

As you might imagine, it's been a very busy summer, so it's been quite a while since I've had a chance to check in, but I'm very excited about the new season and hope all of you Spurs fans are, too.

My new teammates all seem to be fitting well into our system on both the offensive and defensive ends. It is also great to have a solid core of guys back from last year. If we can stay healthy, I feel like this team could be even stronger than last year. I can also tell you that it may be a little different brand of Spurs basketball than last year with a quicker pace, more passing, and sharper shooting. I'm truly excited.

For me, personally, this summer was really packed with activity. I got to participate in the Olympics, which was always a goal of mine when I was growing up. Of course, back then I thought I would be doing it as a competitive swimmer!

I am really happy for Manu winning the Gold. He and his team played very well, and he hasn't let me forget it, either. Although some may think winning the Bronze was a disappointment, I was very proud of the way our USA team came together, and what all we accomplished with the pieces we had. Being part of the Olympics was a dream come true for me.

During the off-season, I also got to go home to the Virgin Islands. It was great to spend time with family and old friends there. I always try to participate each summer in a basketball-filled weekend that a good friend from St. Croix puts on each year and my Foundation helps sponsor. It is a great way to stay involved with my community there, and I always enjoy being home! We also do a free basketball clinic for the local kids in St. Croix. I enjoy seeing kids come out with that thirst for knowledge that I had when I was just starting to learn how to play. It is fun for me to share my experiences with them.

Other than that, my summer was so committed with USA Basketball that what little remaining free time I had, I just spent at home with my wife and our dogs relaxing and just enjoying some down time. I truly savored and enjoyed those free moments.

Now it is October, and it's back to business already. Amazing how quickly time passes.

Drop me an email with your questions or feedback to td21@slamduncan.com. I'll see you at the game!

5. Tim Duncan

Over the past few months, we’ve been running down the 50 guys that we think are the 50 best players, right here, right now. With the season starting, the list is almost complete. Today, Lang Whitaker takes a look at Tim Duncan.

With summer dragging on and on and on before the NBA tips off, we’ve decided to initiate a multipart series that will be the definitive look at the best players in the NBA today.

Over lunch at the Outback Steakhouse (word to Steve Irwin), your crack SLAMonline.com staff sat down and ranked the 50 best players in the NBA today. We realize that’s kind of ambiguous, but that’s how basketball is and that’s how we like it. Basically, though, we tried to list the 50 guys we think have the most value to their teams, right now, at this moment. This doesn’t mean they’ll never be traded, and it doesn’t mean they’re due tremendous contract extensions, but it does mean — since value is king in the NBA — that over the next month or so we’ll run down the 50 guys that we think are the 50 best players, right here, right now.

Before long it’ll be time for our annual NBA team previews. Right now it’s time for some law and order…

5. Tim Duncan

http://slamonline.com/online/2006/11/5-tim-duncan/

by Lang Whitaker

Over the past few months, we’ve been running down the 50 guys that we think are the 50 best players, right here, right now. With the season starting, the list is almost complete. Today, Lang Whitaker takes a look at Tim Duncan.

With summer dragging on and on and on before the NBA tips off, we’ve decided to initiate a multipart series that will be the definitive look at the best players in the NBA today.

Over lunch at the Outback Steakhouse (word to Steve Irwin), your crack SLAMonline.com staff sat down and ranked the 50 best players in the NBA today. We realize that’s kind of ambiguous, but that’s how basketball is and that’s how we like it. Basically, though, we tried to list the 50 guys we think have the most value to their teams, right now, at this moment. This doesn’t mean they’ll never be traded, and it doesn’t mean they’re due tremendous contract extensions, but it does mean — since value is king in the NBA — that over the next month or so we’ll run down the 50 guys that we think are the 50 best players, right here, right now.

Before long it’ll be time for our annual NBA team previews. Right now it’s time for some law and order…

In the spring of 2005, I went to San Antonio for a week to try and figure out what makes the Spurs tick. I’d been watching them all season with a closer eye than normal, and I was convinced they were ready to take another title home.

Upon arriving in San Antonio, I decided that I was going to try and get an interview with every player on the team. I wasn’t sure that was even possible, because the NBA puts pretty strict limits on the media’s time, and even if I stayed in the locker room the entire pregame, there was no guarantee all the players would make themselves available. What I had going for me, though, was that the Spurs were all nice guys, and they tended to hang around the locker room, so after one game I was doing pretty well…except for Tim Duncan.

How can you write a Spurs story without interviewing Tim Duncan? Duncan sat in the locker room for the entire pregame media availability, but he kept his back turned to the room the entire time, which is NBA speak for “I’m not speaking.” He was quiet, too, speaking only to Brent Barry and Robert Horry about video games. And when I heard talk of Socom coming from his mouth, I knew I was in.

A few nights later I went to another Spurs game, but this time I was prepared. I’d stopped at a bookstore along the way to the arena and bought a copy of a video game magazine. When Tim came out and plopped down at his locker, I scurried over and said, “Hey, don’t want to bother you but I heard you talking about video games and thought you might like this.” I set the magazine down in his locker and walked back across the room to join the rest of the media.

Not two minutes later, I heard Tim’s voice: “Hey…hey…come here.”

You talking to me? He was talking to me. I walked over to his locker.

“So,” he asked, “are you a gamer?” And we were off.

That was how I got to know Tim Duncan, and as I’ve talked to him on and off since then, I’m always surprised by how different he is from the general perception of him. Now, I know we’ve done a lot (and continue to do a lot) to perpetrate that perception: He’s an emotionless robot who goes out there and kills his opposition. That’s an easy connection to make, and it’s funny to say that stuff, I suppose. And to a certain extent, it’s true: Duncan is arguably the best big man in the NBA, in terms of his ability to consistently score and rebound and do all those things. He’s a two-time MVP, a three-time NBA Finals MVP, eight-time All-Star, seven-time All-NBA first team. If you watch the NBA, even casually, you understand that Tim Duncan is dominant.

But he’s also amazing in terms of his ability to fit into a team structure and play within the system that Gregg Popovich has honed in San Antonio. That system is partly based around Duncan’s strengths, but he’s remained a team player, and to my memory has never been quoted complaining about a teammate. Duncan understands how to lead, and more importantly, how to win. Which is why he’s one of the top five players in the NBA.

I’ve done hundreds of interviews with NBA players since I’ve been at SLAM, but one of my personal favorites was this interview I did with Tim Duncan over the summer. They aren’t hard-hitting questions and there’s no profound information uncovered, but it is one of the few times I’ve ever heard Duncan laugh and seem to have fun with an interview. It shows that somewhere underneath all those layers of adamantium and blinking lights beats a human heart.

Well, either a human heart or a really good facsimile built by the world’s top scientists.

SPURS WIN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

http://blog.coversmagazine.com/2007/05/19/spurs-win-nba-championship.aspx

There are two types of people in this world: Those that know TIM DUNCAN is the best player in basketball. And those that don't know basketball.

Case in point of Duncan's dominance was proven again Friday night when Number 21 showed for the 10th straight year that he is THE NEXT JORDAN and that THE SPURS are the closest thing to the '90s BULLS as San Antonio blew out Phoenix in Game 6 of the NBA Western Conference semi-finals in a series that everybody knows was the true 2007 NBA FINALS.

Yeah, I know the SPURS gotta beat the JAZZ the next coupla weeks, and then they gotta dispose of the PISTONS (or CAVS) in June. But San Antonio's 4-2 and 114-106 dismantling of the second-best team in basketball surely showed the obvious: that no one can touch the SPURS ... and that DUNCAN is JORDANESQUE.

His line said it all: 24 points, 13 rebounds and 9 blocks. WHO DOES THAT??? Plus, he's averaging 24 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks in only 38 minutes a game in the playoffs. He's undoubtedly the best defensive player of the last four decades, and he is obviously one of the Top 5 offensive players of his time.

Year after year, he clearly shows he is the best leader and best player in the game. The only peer who ever measured up to his high standards was SHAQUILLE O'NEAL in the late '90s and early aughties.

Which reminds me of this running joke I've used for the previous eight seasons--ever since MICHAEL JORDAN retired--when people ask me who do I think is gonna win the NBA Championship. I'd tell them, "Flip a coin. Heads, it's Duncan; tails, it's Shaq." I've been right for seven of the last eight years with that simple strategy, and Timmy's about to make me eight-for-nine.

Think about it: everytime Duncan is in a game, he's the best player offensively on either team every series he plays, and defensively, he and the Spurs take away every star's game in dramatic fashion. In this series, Nash wasn't the same guy who finished 1-or-2 in the MVP voting the last three years, Marion was subpar, while Amare was limited to sitting out 15 minutes per game on because of foul trouble. Melo may have been good, but Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby were not even "average" players in their first-round series against the Spurs. It happens every year.

But still, DUNCAN does not get the respect from November-to-April that he commands every May-and-June after he consistently outplays all his peers (look it up--the PERs don't lie and his defensive greatness isn't even factored into that score). This year he has a NBA-best 28.51 PER at playoff time, and last year he even went over the 30-mark, which is unheard of. And like I said before, "THAT DOESN'T EVEN COUNT HIS DEFENSIVE GREATNESS!!!!!"

This year 129 idiots voted for the NBA MVP and not one of them picked Duncan first. It happens every year, and every May and June, he makes everyone look moronic for not recognizing him as the best. Like I've said before, TD is the Keyser Soze of the NBA: "The greatest trick Tim Duncan ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

ESPN THE MAGAZINE'S BILL SIMMONS wrote a column in last week's mag where he talks about Duncan being the best, and it makes me wanna slap him for not writing this same piece years ago. It's been obvious to me since 1999, AND THIS IS NEWS TO YOU AND YOUR READERS, BILL?????

Simmons writes: "Over the past 10 years, Duncan has been overshadowed by Kobe and Shaq, LeBron and Wade, Nash and Kidd, Nowitzki and KG, even C-Webb and Iverson ... and yet, Tim Duncan was better than all of them."

My first thought and only thought after I read that piece: "No shit."

I had a similar reaction when I heard ESPN analyst JON BARRY say during Friday night's telecast: "I had no idea that Tim Duncan was this good a player on the defensive end."

Huh??? And I suppose Barry also didn't know that STEVE NASH is a really good passer. And that BARRY BONDS is really really good at hitting home runs.

Such stupid comments befuddles me.

Anyway, some of you may be wondering why I'm writing about this in a California blog. Well, for one, I'ma Spurs fan and I needed to vent. And secondly, the Spurs are a Cali team whether you realize it or not. Tim and his wife spend summer time in L.A. with one of Tim's best friends, actor MARC BLUCAS. TONY PARKER, of course, spends many frequent-flier miles visiting his actress fiancee EVA LONGORIA out in La-La land during the season and in the offseason. And Parker also has been known to bring his teammates to the set of "24" quite often to visit his other actor friend CARLOS BERNARD, when Tony Almeida was still alive on the TV show. ROBERT HORRY, when he isn't hitting big shots and big body checks, spends much of his summer in his secondary home, Los Angeles, reliving his Laker glory days. And then there's Fresno's favorite NBA son, BRUCE "BRUISE" BOWEN, who does his thang out here in Central Cali in the summertime.

Face it: the Spurs really have become NBA's SHOWTIME team, what with all their celebrity alliances and dominating basketball, moreso than even the Lakers these days.

Just wanted to make sure you knew about history as it was happening because the Spurs are about to become only the fourth team ever to win four NBA championships in nine years.

IT'S A DYNASTY, BABY ... AND DUNCAN IS JORDAN ... Get used to it, if you haven't already.

Everything there is to know about Tim Duncan

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40111

-Tim Duncan was born in St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands
-Timmy didn't start playing organized basketball until he was in ninth grade
- 2004-05 Stats PPG 20.3 RPG 11.10 APG 2.7
- Won the 1998 Rookie of the Year

Tim liked playing Dungeons and Dragons as a kid.

He loves to swim.

He has a degree in Psychology.

In the 2004-2005 regular season, he was listed as 6'11" for the first time in his career

His favorite actor is Chris Tucker

Fave TV Shows: Alias, Martin, Seinfeld

Fave superhero: Wolverine from X-Men

Fave movie: The Crow

Fave color: black

Hobbies: collects swords, plays video games

Some misc information...

Played soccer in college
Joked about having his own line of clothes called "Ultimate Reject"
Used to have a pierced tongue
Has 3 tattoos

His wife is his college sweetheart Amy and together they have a newborn daughter.

One of his vehicles is a slicked-out H2.

Likes to play paintball in his spare time.

Oh yeah about paintball... doesn't he have his own like paintball course in his house or something like that?

Also... he has a weird purpleish tint on his right index finger that's been discussed on this board before

Zodiac sign is the Taurus

Is really close friends with Malik Rose, Antonio Daniels, Tony Parker.

Fave NFL team is the Chicago Bears

Tim Duncan Q&A

1. Where are you from?
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands.

2.What sport did you participate
in before basketball?
Swimming. I was actually a competitive swimmer.

3. When is your birthday?
April 25.

4. How old will you be this year?
I will be 28.

5. What is your middle name?
Theodore.

6. Do you have a favorite book?
Yes. I really enjoyed Jurassic Park.

7. What is your favorite food?
I like Steak & Shrimp.

8. What are your biggest fears?
Growing up in St. Croix, you certainly learn to fear sharks. Other than that, great heights can be pretty intimidating.

9. What is your favorite professional football team?
The Chicago Bears.

10. Where did you go to college?
Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

11. What did you receive your degree in?
Psychology.

12. What is your favorite Ice cream?
Gold medal ribbon flavor.

13. Do you have any pets?
I have three dogs. Nicole, Shadoe, Zen

14. What kind of dogs are they?
One is a Cockapoo, and the other two are Labs.

15. Are any of the dogs related?
Yes, actually, Zen is Shadoe's son.

16. What is the highest number of points you've scored in a single game?
I once scored 53 points.

17. What is the highest number of rebounds you've gotten during a game?

18. Where did you attend High School?
St. Dustan's High School.

19. What is your favorite color?
Black.

20. What is your favorite type of music?
I like Rap & Reggae.

21. What is your favorite all-time Movie?
The Crow.

22. What is your favorite all-time TV Show?
I liked Martin & Seinfeld.

23. Who is your favorite actor?
I like watching Kevin Spacey.

24. If you could have any pet what would it be?
Dog.

25. What is your favorite Board Game?
I like playing Monopoly.

26. What do you like to do on your days off?
I like to relax and play video games.

27. What is your favorite Holiday?
Thanksgiving.

28. Which person knows the most about you?
My wife Amy.

29. Who is the Craziest/Silliest person you know?
Malik Rose.

30. What is the thing you like most about the NBA?
The Competition.

31. What is the thing you like the least about the NBA?
The Travel.

32. What is your favorite NBA arena outside San Antonio?
I like America West Arena in Phoenix.

33. If you could have one wish granted what would it be?
Good health.

34. Do you like to surf the net?
Yes -- I spend lots of time online.

Prefers that people call him, "Merlin" (after the Arthurian wizard)

He collects knives/swords.

He dresses up for Renaissance Fairs.

Lived with David Robinson at his ranch the summer before his rookie year so that they can get to know each other and work out.

About his family.......

Father's name was William Duncan, died of prostate cancer - mother, Ione Duncan, died of breast cancer

Has two older sisters named Cheryl and Tricia

wears his shorts backwards in practice....

He has three older half-brothers William Duncan, John Duncan, and Scott Duncan.

I was in the Yamaha shop last weekend and they said that Tony, Tim, Antonio, Eva and Amy have all been in there and they are ride four wheelers. They said that Tony is building on twenty acres and has an area devoted to the group riding. They best story they had was the relationship between Tim and Antonio. They said they were like two teen aged brothers, at each other constantly and nothing serious the entire time the were in the store. They said they all get along really well and are like a big family.

Fave music is rap, reggae - used an iPod this past season while warming up on the court but after Vince Carter reported it to NBA officials he can no longer use it while practicing.

My childhood friend went to Wake Forest and his ex wife was a trainer for Tim and the team....she said he is extremly close to family and prefered to spend time with his family over most.

He is afraid of sharks and wouldn't continue his swimming training in the ocean because of the sharks and thus began his rise to Basketball stardom!

He's also afraid of heights

He taken a couse in Chinese literature at WFU for this girl he was seeing back then.

He received a pair of sleeves, a fake ID, a tongue ring, and pompoms from Dave Odom and the coaching staff for Christmas.

Teammates with Marc Blucas (Riley on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) at WFU.

What else Laura?

His starting PG in college was also named Tony...

And supposedly TD openly weeped after WFU got eliminated in his senior year.

Oh yeah, once filmed a boating show with Fox Sports that had to be cut short because Amy got boat sick and puked.

I remember reading htat a childhood friend of his said that he wasn't popular at school and that kids made fun of him ):

He has several step sibilings.

Received his picture on Wheaties box on Jan. 27, 2005

i heard from a friend of a friend at Wake that Duncan smoked TONS of weed in his room alone. admittedly this is far from a fact, but it makes sense with all his gaming. and if you've ever been to the VI you know that green is prevalent.

Copyright 1997 San Antonio Express-News
San Antonio Express-News (Texas)

May 21, 1997, Wednesday , ALAMO

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 1, Part D

LENGTH: 490 words

HEADLINE: Mom's passing the source of Duncan's drive

BYLINE: Kevin O'Keeffe

BODY: "Good, better, best, never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best." - the late Delysia Duncan, to her children, Cheryl, Tricia and Tim, on more than one occasion Those words from Delysia Duncan were a driving force for her youngest child with regard to his competitive swimming, as well as his education.

Tim Duncan, the former Wake Forest star who will be the top pick in the NBA draft by the Spurs next month, got his drive and competitive fire from his mother.

But she never saw her son play basketball.

Swimming was Duncan's athletic pursuit as a youth. Ditto for his sister, Tricia, who did the backstroke for the U.S. Virgin Islands in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.

Duncan, who was an age-group champion in the 400-meter freestyle, planned to compete in the '92 Summer Games in Barcelona, Spain, for the Virgin Islands.

But Hurricane Hugo intervened, destroying the pool where he worked out in St. Croix.

Duncan enjoyed the solitude of that pool. He liked competing against the stopwatch.

It was swimming, he said, that bolstered his confidence.

"That (swimming) is an individual sport has to build your confidence," Duncan said. "You don't have anyone else to rely on. You have to do it yourself, so you have to believe in yourself."

After Hugo blew through in '89, Duncan was forced to work out in the ocean.

That didn't have the same appeal, even with mom's push. Duncan never again swam competitively that year.

As it turns out, that decision was due only in part to Hugo.

The following spring, the day before his 14th birthday in April 1990, came the real reason Duncan stopped swimming.

He lost his push.

Delysia Duncan died after a bout with breast cancer.

Understandably, her death had an incredible impact on him. He watched her suffer through the disease.

Delysia Duncan's passing expedited his growing up.

Cooperative, although hardly chatty and desiring media attention, Duncan made the subject of his mother's death off- limits through his first three years at Wake Forest.

Duncan likes to erect little walls to guard his privacy.

This season, though, Duncan opened up on that subject, talking about what she meant to him.

"His mom's death left a scar," said Deborah Best, chairman of the Wake Forest psychology department and Duncan's academic adviser.

"He talked to me about watching her die," Best told USA Today. "I think a lot of his independence today came out of losing his mom at such an early age."

Duncan said his mom gave him direction and was his biggest fan. He said he tuned out most people after his mom's death.

"No one replaces your mom," Duncan said.

Not even your dad.

William Duncan's easy-going nature seems to have rubbed off on his son, whose demeanor is one of his best traits.

Still, Delysia was Tim's motivation.

And continues to be.

LOAD-DATE: September 1, 1998

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Copyright 1999 Daily News, L.P.
Daily News (New York)

June 17, 1999, Thursday

SECTION: Sports; Pg. 94

LENGTH: 600 words

HEADLINE: STAY-AT-HOME DAD DIDN'T THINK TIM WOULD BE IN FINALS

BYLINE: By WAYNE COFFEY

BODY:
CHRISTIANSTED, St. Croix It is four hours before tipoff of the NBA Finals, and William Duncan is nowhere to be found in the Alamodome. He is, instead, right here, a three-point shot from the Caribbean Sea, pouring sugar into an iced tea, watching a catamaran float by, secretly admitting that he did not think his son would still be in season now.

William Duncan smiles beneath a black San Antonio Spurs hat. A soft wind blows off the turquoise water. Duncan was in San Antonio for the Western Conference finals, but had long since booked his trip home.

"Between (Shaquille) O'Neal and (Karl) Malone, I thought Tim wouldn't stand a chance," William Duncan said before his son would score 33 points in the Spurs' 89-77 victory in Game 1. "I'm surprised my little boy is up there making the big-time plays."

The youngest of William Duncan's six children, the little boy has grown into a 7-0, 248-pound package of low-post polish not only the single most dangerous force the Knicks have to contend with in the series, but the premier player in the game. William Duncan, 68, is as proud as he can be about that, but is not inclined to get carried away with it publicly, emotional restraint running in the family.

"Tim doesn't have any kind of attitude, and isn't the type to get overjoyed with himself," his father says. "He just tries to relax and take the next step."

About 175 of Tim Duncan's closest friends and fans chartered a flight to San Antonio to be at Game 1 last night, departing in the wee hours yesterday morning. At 4 a.m., in a misty rain, 400 more people showed up to send them off. Stanley and the 10 Sleepless Knights, perhaps the most popular band on St. Croix, filled the terminal with calypso music before getting on board. People waved flags, sang songs, an impromptu West Indian fiesta.

"It was all because Tim Duncan is the person he is, not because of the player he is," says Pamela Richards, a local tourism executive and founding member of the Tim Duncan Virgin Islands Fan Club. "He's so humble about everything, it makes it seem as if it's happening to one of us." She talked about how reluctantly Duncan accepted the news that a school gymnasium was being named in his honor.

"We had to really convince him to go along with it," Richards says.

Humility, respect, the importance of doing your best all were lessons Duncan learned growing up. William Duncan says he and Tim would talk often about such things all the time, especially when they were in the car together.

Another major family theme was the importance of keeping your word. Duncan has been widely hailed for being among the few to resist the call of the NBA millions and finish his schooling. Tim was doing nothing more than living up to a promise he had made to his mother.

Delysia Duncan died nine years ago, on Tim's 14th birthday, April 25, 1990. She had been extraordinarily close to her youngest son, and the No. 1 supporter of his then-sport of choice, swimming. He seemingly was headed for world-class status before Hurricane Hugo destroyed his pool in 1989. After his mother died, he never swam competitively again.

Duncan's path to NBA glory has been well-chronicled by now, as sweet as it is improbable. As he eagerly awaited the start of the Finals, William Duncan looked toward the sea, his eyes moistening as he spoke of the only aspect of the story that isn't sweet at all. He paused and took one more sip of tea.

"I can't stop thinking, 'What would it be like for his mother to see him now?' " Duncan said. "Can you (imagine) the beauty of that?"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2002 San Antonio Express-News
San Antonio Express-News (Texas)

May 1, 2002, Wednesday , METRO

SECTION: A SECTION; Pg. 6A

LENGTH: 448 words

HEADLINE: Star's dad stood tall in St. Croix ; Friends rememberhis quiet strength

BYLINE: John Gutierrez-Mier

BODY: William Therofield Duncan was well known throughout St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands even before his son Tim Duncan led the San Antonio Spurs to their first world championship in 1999.

"He was a very quiet man, a good father, good neighbor, and someone you could talk to," said Sarah Harvey, a longtime family friend who lived next door to Duncan for numerous years.

Duncan, 71, died Monday of cancer at the Winston-Salem, N.C., home of his daughter Tricia Duncan McKoy.

Born on the Caribbean island of Anguilla, he had lived since 1958 in St. Croix, where he was a pest-control business manager, a mason and handyman, among other jobs.

At one point he also sold fabric from his truck.

A father of six children, Duncan was especially proud of all of his children's many achievements, said longtime friend Wallace Williams, head librarian of the Florence Williams Public Library in Christiansted, where Duncan lived.

"He was very easygoing as well as very focused and disciplined," Williams said. "He always wanted the best for his children and provided for them and gave them all that they needed."

Williams and Harvey agreed that even as Tim Duncan's stature grew in the NBA, his father's easygoing manner never changed.

"To us he's just Timmy," Williams said. "As a father, he was always concerned about him. He was very proud of Tim and very protective. He wanted to make sure he had the right shoe size so he wouldn't get hurt. Sometimes we couldn't get all of the Spurs games televised here, so he'd come over to the library and we'd listen to it on the Internet. If he couldn't come over, he'd call me the next day and ask me what the score was. He will be missed."

Harvey said Tim always turned to his father for advice.

"He always wanted the best for his children," Harvey said. "Everyone more or less knew of (William Duncan) even before Tim became famous. I didn't expect him to change, and he never did."

Duncan was preceded in death by his wife, Delysia Bryan Duncan.

Besides Tim Duncan and McCoy, Duncan is survived by daughter Cheryl Lowery of Winston-Salem, N.C.; three sons, William Duncan of Antigua, John Duncan of Tucson, Ariz., and Scott Duncan of Iowa City, Iowa; three sisters; Mary Liza Webster, Iris Webster and Merle Lake, all of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; and two brothers, Austin Duncan of St. Thomas and George Duncan of St. Croix.

A memorial service will be conducted Thursday at St. John's Episcopal Church in Christiansted, St. Croix.

TRIBUTE TO TIM DUNCAN OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS (House of Representatives - February 26, 1997)

[Page: H650] GPO's PDF

The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under a previous order of the House, the gentlewoman from the Virgin Islands [Ms. Christian-Green] is recognized for 5 minutes.

Ms. CHRISTIAN-GREEN. Mr. Speaker, I rise today with great pride to recognize and pay tribute to a superb athlete and a wonderful Virgin Islander: Tim Duncan of Wake Forest University.

Timmy, as he is better known by his friends back home, has been a star center for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons since 1993 and is currently one of the 12 players in the running to be named the 1997 College Basketball Player of the Year.

Last night, at the end of the Demon Deacons' last home game and at Tim's last home game as a student at Wake Forest, the university and the Winston-Salem community paid tribute to this outstanding student-athlete by making him only the eighth player to have his jersey, No. 21, retired.

I had the privilege of attending last night's ceremony to personally extend congratulations to Timmy and to his family on behalf of his thousands of friends back home in the Virgin Islands and Virgin Islanders across the country who could not be there to congratulate him in person.

Mr. Speaker, entering this month, Timmy had played in 114 consecutive games at Wake Forest. He holds the distinction of participating in more winning games as a Demon Deacon than any other player in Wake Forest history.

The premier player in America for 1996-97, according to leading college basketball experts, Timmy will complete his career at Wake Forest as the NCAA all-time leader in blocked shots. He has blocked at least one shot in all of his first 114 games at Wake Forest.

Mr. Speaker, it goes without saying how especially proud the people of the Virgin Islands are of their native son, Tim Duncan. I ask my colleagues to please join me in congratulating this wonderful student-athlete as well as his family, who were with him last night as we witnessed him receiving his honor in front of thousands of cheering Wake Forest University fans. Tim's family who were with him last night are his proud father, William Duncan, his older sister Cheryl, and her husband Rick Lowery and their children Sheynne, Kristin and Delysia; his youngest sister Tricia and older brother Scott.

A heartfelt congratulations to Timmy and his family and best of luck to Wake Forest as they prepare for the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Go Deacons.

Mr. Speaker, that concludes my remarks this afternoon.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r105:H26FE7-199:

for the person who said he took chinese lit (in his senior yr), wasnt amy his girlfriend? so why take it for another girl?
he actually may hold the record for taking the toughest courses while winning the ncaa player of the yr: psych, anthropology, and the chinese lit course (all as a senior)
also, i found out he also likes raibow sherbert as a fave dessert (in "tower of power")...but his website states differently.

When he was 13 years old he was among the best of the US kids in his age group at swimming the 400 meter-freestyle

His high school was St. Dustan's Episocapal High School

His favortie sports to play (other then basketball) is football

Favorite Athlete is Magic Johnson

Favorite book Juarassic Park by Micheal Crichton

In 1992 a group of young NBA players visited St. Croix to promote their league. One rookie Chris King had played at Wake Forest University, in Winston-Salem North Carolina. Chris saw Tim playing in St. Croix. He persuaded Wake Forest Coach Dave Odom to check out his talented kid. Tim was just 16. Soon, other schools heard about Tim, too. They wanted Tim to playe for them but Tim eventually settled on Wake Forest and started school there in 1993.

At Wake Forest Tim became one of the best college player in the county.

He won the important Naismith and Wooden awards.

He was named the 1996-1997 NCAA National Player of the Year by the Assiciated Press.

Tim Duncan blocked 481 shots to become the all-time leading shot-blocker in the Atlantic Coast Conferance history and second all-time in the entire NCAA.

He was the 1st college player to: score more then 1,500 points, grab more then 1,000 rebounds, blcok more the 400 shot, and pass for more then 200 assist.

He helped Wake Forest become the 1st team in 14 years to win back-to-back ACC Championship.

Tim was the only rookie to be selected for the 1998 All-Star Game.

He won Rookie of the Month during each of all the six months. He recived 113 of 116 votes in the NBA Rookie of the Year voting.

In his rookie season he led the NBA in double-doubles by having 57.

In Tim's home he has so much video games equipment it doesnt fit into one room.

Outside of Bill Russell, is the only other NBA player in HISTORY to have won Two Championships with eleven different teammates (1999 & 2005)...

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best.
Tim Duncan

The time when there is no one there to feel sorry for you or to cheer for you is when a player is made.
Tim Duncan

the only game in any of the Finals he played that he didn't score a double-double was Game 5 of the 1999 Finals.

Runs the Tim Duncan foundation with Amy Duncan

Has quite the humor that can be seen occasionally.

Although I'm not sure of the wording says he doesn't like his video game counterpart because the games never get his range right. They always make him a worse 3 point shooter than he actually is.

NCAA career

Tim Duncan was a two-time ACC Player of the Year with the Wake Forest Demon Deacons and had extensive international experience playing with the USA Basketball team. He didn't begin playing organized basketball until the ninth grade.

Tim was an All-American at Wake Forest University. The psychology major (with honors) was winner of the 1997 John Wooden Award, awarded to the NCAA's overall best male player based on the votes of sportscasters and newswriters. In that season, Duncan averaged 20.8 points per game and led the nation with 14.7 rebounds per game.

Duncan finished his college career as the second best shot blocker in NCAA history, and he is one of only 10 players with more than 2,000 career points and 1,500 career rebounds. Duncan was also the first player in NCAA history to reach 1,500 points, 1,000 rebounds, 400 blocked shots and 200 assists

Timmy does not eat cold meats and never would be caught dead in a Quizno's or eating a Quizno's burger or whatever they call it.

The conspiracy theory goes like this: Monty Williams, a former Spur employee/player, was ostensibly working for the Orlando Magic in 2000. However, he was the NBA's version of Mata Hari. He double crossed the Magic and told them to serve Tim and Amy Duncan a platter of coldcuts, knowing full well that Tim would be completely repulsed by the sight of cold meat.

This was one of the factors which led Tim to reconsider signing with San Antonio in 2000 (along with David Robinson's return from Hawaii, a heart-to-heart with Pop, etc.)

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转