马刺中文论坛
用户名 忘了密码?
密码 注册

马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » Mason, Jr. Feeling His Way in S.A.

主题工具
 2008-11-07 19:34  #1

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
Mason, Jr. Feeling His Way in S.A.

By: Luke Byrnes Last Updated: 11/2/08 9:27 AM ET

Adjust font size:Following their season-ending loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game Five of the Western Conference Finals, the San Antonio Spurs immediately tuned their attention to rebuilding a roster sure to be depleted by retirement and free-agency. With veterans Brent Barry (now in Houston), Robert Horry (retired), Kurt Thomas and Michael Finley (both re-signed) all in contract years in '07-'08, the Spurs were in need of a youthful infusion.

With little money to spend on the free agent market, outside of the mid-level exception, the franchise still had visions of making a splash in the offseason by bringing in free agent swingman and 20 ppg scorer Corey Maggette from the Los Angeles Clippers to help bridge the gap between the Tim Duncan and the Tony Parker eras, while making a run at a fifth NBA title in ten years.

Maggette took a $50M deal to play with the Golden State Warriors and suddenly the Spurs had to look elsewhere to find their man moving forward. Coach Gregg Popovich thinks they found a gem when the organization brought in Roger Mason, Jr.

After a couple non-descript seasons in Chicago and Toronto, the former Virginia Cavaliers star found himself out of the NBA, honing his skills overseas in such places as Japan, Greece and Jerusalem before inking a deal to return to the NBA with the Washington Wizards in July of 2006.

Mason, Jr. had a career year in '07-'08, making the most of his opportunity to get onto the floor when Gilbert Arenas went down early in the campaign, starting nine games, playing 80, and averaging 9.1 ppg, all career highs.

"This is a great opportunity," Mason said of his arrival in San Antonio. "I've worked really hard. I had a great opportunity last year. This is what you work for. So, for me, my big thing is to come in here, integrate to already great program and try to win another championship."

Popovich is confident the vagabond can provide some scoring punch for the squad coming off the bench and has been encouraged by his high basketball IQ.

"He's been a really quick study, really fine young man that has some talents that we really need and can use," Popovich said. "I think right now he is just trying to get comfortable and see where his piece of the pie is. He's the kind of guy where he wants to fit in first. He's just kind of tip-toeing around Timmy (Duncan) and Tony (Parker) right now and trying to figure it out. I want him to go out there, have a green light, and let it fly because he's a heckuva shooter and we need that, especially without Manu (Ginobili) being here."

Last season, in Arenas' absence, Mason got valuable time playing multiple positions and Popovich sees the versatility Mason displayed as a huge plus heading into the season.

"Arenas being out last year really helped him," Popovich continued. "He played one, two, and three, played backup point, and started at the point while Arenas was out and I think that has really helped his confidence."

That confidence has translated into early season success Mason, Jr., averaging 12 ppg in 30 minutes in the Spurs first two games, while shooting a robust .571 from the field while trying to find his way in a veteran locker room with championship experience and searching for a better understanding of his role on his new team.

"I think the hardest thing for me is trying to integrate myself in aggressively," Mason added. "Coming from Washington, I knew my role, I came in to score. Here, we need the same kinds of things, it is just really trying to get a feel for when Tony and Timmy get the ball and then when I can get my shots."

While Mason has played well through the first two games of the season, the team has struggled, falling to 0-2 and is one of only five teams in the league without a victory. As the newest Spur acclimates himself with his role and his teammates, and when Ginobili returns from his post-Olympic surgery, this club will likely find itself in the mix for s return to the Western Conference Finals, and perhaps more.

"I'm picking up the system," Mason said. "It is just a matter of when to go into attack mode and when to fall back and let the all-stars go."

And go they will.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10433
 2008-11-07 21:12  #2
球星

书学宝梅的头像

加入日期: 2006-04-02
帖子: 2813
现金: 150 盾
回复: Mason, Jr. Feeling His Way in S.A.

看不懂
希望中文翻译出来了再看
呵呵