加入日期: 2004-04-25
帖子: 4429
现金: 40 盾
香瓜 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第13名
[Express-News]Hill takes advantage of Parker's downtime

Web Posted: 10/01/2009 12:00 CDT
Hill takes advantage of Parker's downtime
By Jeff McDonald- Express-News

Tony Parker, as promised, did indeed see less of the practice floor over the first two days of training camp, resting up after a busy summer with the French national team. But it was more than his head coach would've liked.

“I'm trying to sit him, but he won't let me sit him as much as I'd like to,” Gregg Popovich said after Wednesday's early session.

Whatever practice time Parker has given up so far has been George Hill's gain.

Hill, in his second training camp with the Spurs, will certainly benefit from the extra time running the point in Parker's absence. After an up-and-down rookie season spent learning the position on the fly, Hill is eager to show the Spurs' coaching staff that he can be a capable backup at the point.

Hill has spent a good deal of time running with the Spurs' first unit while Parker rests. So far, he's doing it with the same kind of self-assurance with which he ran the Spurs' summer-league team in July.

“I'm waiting to see what the new, improved myself can do with a year under my belt,” Hill said. “I'm ready to see, when the season comes, how it flows.”

Hill will probably win the backup job by default. The Spurs are carrying no other traditional point guards in camp.

In the meantime, the Spurs don't want to pigeonhole Hill as simply a point guard. He was a wing player in college, and Popovich has been experimenting with some sets in which Hill plays alongside Parker — and occasionally alongside Parker and Manu Ginobili.

“I want to be versatile,” Hill said. “I don't want to be one-dimensional. I still want to have that ‘two' in me.”

Ginobili shines: Coming off the most injury-plagued season of his career, Ginobili drew rave reviews after Wednesday morning's workout.

“He was arguably the best player on the court today,” Popovich said. “He's Manu. He's back. Now, he's just got to get into shape.”

Gist likely headed overseas: Former second-round pick James Gist did not sign a training camp contract with the Spurs, and is expected to spend a second straight season overseas. Under that arrangement, the Spurs will retain his NBA rights.

Gist, a former Maryland standout, played last season in Italy.

Ready for replacements: With the regular NBA referees locked out, Popovich said the Spurs are preparing for life with replacement officials to start the preseason.

“Everybody's got to do the best job they can, no matter how this thing ends up,” he said. “No matter what goes on on the court, it will be fair for both teams.”

The NBA last employed replacement refs in 1995-96.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Hill_takes_advantage_of_Parkers_downtime.html
香瓜离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转

马刺中文网 - 始于2004年 - 网站地图 - Go Spurs Go!