2006-03-13 14:42  #1
Young

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
🏆 🏆
[完工]Finley helps Spurs dunk Rockets

Finley helps Spurs dunk Rockets

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031306.1D.BKNspurs.rockets.gamer.8225eff.html

Web Posted: 03/13/2006 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley celebrated his 33rd birthday one week ago, and, so far, 33 feels a lot better than 32.

At this time last season, Finley was playing with bone chips in his right ankle and nursing a strained left calf.

"Now, to be as healthy as I can," Finley said, "I'm able to go out there and produce and not have fatigue or injuries as an excuse of not getting up to my potential."

Finley's potential, these days, apparently stretches a good 11 feet. On Sunday afternoon, Finley woke up his teammates — as well as the 18,797 fans filling the AT&T Center — with a vicious dunk in front of Houston's 7-foot-6 center, Yao Ming, helping to send the Spurs to an 88-81 victory.

"He saves it up," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Finley's sudden explosiveness, "so he can dig down there and get it once in a while."

The Spurs, likewise, had to reach deep to prevent their third loss in four games. Run off their own floor by the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday and playing for the sixth time in 81/2 days, they found enough energy in the second half to hold off the Rockets, who were missing All-Star forward Tracy McGrady.

Finley scored eight of his 15 points in the fourth quarter, including a 3-pointer with 39.9 seconds left that all but closed out the victory. Tim Duncan (20 points and 10 rebounds) and Manu Ginobili (14 points and seven rebounds) overcame their poor shooting, and Nazr Mohammed helped hold Yao to eight points in the second half while contributing 11 points and eight boards of his own.

"It was a tough couple of days for us to let a game like the Lakers one slip by," Finley said. "But Coach emphasized before the game, 'Let's put that behind us, move forward and attack this one.'"

Finley did just that. After Rockets point guard Rafer Alston trimmed what had been an 11-point lead for the Spurs to 79-77 with 2:52 remaining, Finley received the ball in the left corner, used a screen from Mohammed to lose his defender and rushed toward the rim.

Yao tried to slide over to challenge the shot, but Finley had soared too high, too quickly. As he punched the ball through the rim, the Spurs leaped off the bench. Mohammed ran downcourt shaking his head.

"It reminded me of when Mike was in Phoenix (from 1995-96)," Brent Barry said, "and he used to go over three, four guys."

The dunk energized the Spurs. Finley picked off a pass from Alston and Ginobili drove into the lane and hit a one-handed runner, forcing Houston to call a timeout.

After Houston closed within four, Ginobili again went down the lane. This time, he used a crossover dribble to get by Yao before throwing down a dunk, no less of a surprise than Finley's.

Slowed much of the season by injuries to his right foot, Ginobili said the last time he remembered dunking was "probably the (NBA) Finals."

"I'm glad it happened," said Ginobili, who made only five of 15 shots. "It helps me feel better to go strong again."

The Rockets were at decidedly less than full strength. In addition to missing McGrady, who could be out until the final week of the regular season because of a back injury, they lost starter David Wesley. He injured his ribs late in the first half and didn't return.

The Rockets compensated by keeping Tony Parker out of the lane and limiting him to eight points and four assists. The Spurs shot just 34.1 percent in the first half. With Yao providing 17 points, Houston led 42-38.

"The kid's 7-6, so when he turns around he can look right in the basket," Duncan said. "And he's got a great touch."

The Spurs double-teamed Yao more quickly in the second half and Mohammed, Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic guarded him more closely. He had only two points in the third quarter when the Spurs outscored Houston 26-11.

"They dominated us," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said of the third quarter. "They just out-competed us."

Duncan fought through his own struggles. He missed nine of 13 shots in the first half but scored on three-straight possessions midway through the final quarter, following his missed shot, spinning by Juwan Howard for a layup and hitting a runner as Yao fouled him.

Duncan looked aggressive all night, even twice trying — albeit unsuccessfully — to dunk over Yao. "I'm just trying to play and find my way back," he said.

Finley, meanwhile, seems to be settling into his role. In the past eight games, he's averaged 13.4 points and shot 53.4 percent.

His health? He's feeling good enough to think he can still jump with some of the league's best.

"Maybe not over an extended period of time," Finley said. "But if I get an opportunity, especially with the fresh legs I have at this time of year, I like my odds."

Heaven in Hell

此帖于 2006-03-13 15:44 被 tinysands 编辑。
tinysands离线中  

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启