马刺中文论坛
用户名 忘了密码?
密码 注册

马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » Spurs cure ills with Hornets: Ejection gives Popovich early night in easy victory

主题工具
 2007-01-20 14:47  #1
超级版主

加入日期: 2005-05-07
帖子: 79
现金: 10 盾
Spurs cure ills with Hornets: Ejection gives Popovich early night in easy victory

Spurs cure ills with Hornets: Ejection gives Popovich early night in easy victory

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012007.01C.BKNspurs.hornets.gamer.1abb0b2.html

Web Posted: 01/20/2007 12:24 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Perhaps all is not lost for the Spurs. If Friday night was any indication, they just might be able to solidify their defense and find a couple consistent shot-makers in time to make a serious run at Dallas or Phoenix.

Of course, the Spurs are also probably going to have a hard time convincing the New Orleans Hornets to play them for the next 41 games, so who knows where they're headed. But they've at least reached the midpoint of their schedule, and they did so by beating the Hornets 99-86 at the AT&T Center, and these days that counts as progress.

Coach Gregg Popovich didn't get to stay for the finish, and barely even the start, after being ejected less than six minutes into the game. He retired to his office and watched on TV as his team won for the first time in three games, getting 23 points from Tony Parker and 19 from Manu Ginobili.

The Spurs still couldn't correct their errant 3-point shooting (7 of 26), but they at least hit a couple of timely ones and their defense held firm long enough to beat the depleted Hornets, who have been kind enough to appear on the schedule whenever the local team has been in need of a pick-me-up.

"I thought there were a lot more good signs for us tonight," Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said, "but we have a long ways to go, there's no question about that."

The Spurs had to go most of Friday with Carlesimo guiding them. Popovich picked up his first technical foul for yelling at referee Joe DeRosa after the official called a foul on Tim Duncan for bumping Hornets center Tyson Chandler. Popovich took his seat, but continued to bark at referee Tim Donaghy, who was standing near the bench.

Donaghy calmly stared at the opposite end of the court as Popovich voiced his complaint about the "(expletive) call." But when Popovich shouted, "Yeah, I'm talking to you," that seemed to be all Donaghy needed to hear. He turned and ejected the coach.

"I think he wanted a tech because if Timmy gets that foul every time someone bumps up against him, he's going to shoot about 85 free throws in the game," Carlesimo said. "I don't think he minded the first tech, but I don't think he was looking to go.

"He wasn't looking to come in and watch the game. We thought the game was an important game for us."

The game was important to the Spurs because it had been preceded by losses to Chicago and the Los Angeles Lakers that dropped them 51/2 games behind the Mavericks in the Southwest Division. After Wednesday's loss, the Spurs decided they needed to start focusing less on the officials and more on themselves.

"Against the Lakers we talked way too much," Ginobili said. "(The referees) make mistakes the same way we do.

"Coaches can do whatever they want, but we just have to worry about playing."

While Popovich handled the Spurs' complaints, the Hornets had two players ejected in the game's final minute, one of whom wasn't even in uniform. After Desmond Mason was tossed for shouting and slamming the ball to the court, injured point guard Chris Paul was shown the exit for saying, of all things, "That's crazy."

Though still missing Paul and Peja Stojakovic, the Hornets were happy to welcome back a couple of their other ailing teammates. Forward David West, who had missed the past 30 games with a right elbow injury, was a surprise addition to the starting lineup. Guard Bobby Jackson, a longtime Spurs killer, also returned after missing more than 20 games with cracked ribs.

West finished with 19 points and 11 rebounds and Jackson had 14 points off the bench, but New Orleans shot just 41 percent. Duncan anchored the defense by blocking four shots and taking 16 rebounds to go along with the 12 points he scored.

Aware that the Spurs haven't been able to hit an open perimeter shot in about a week, the Hornets' double-teamed Duncan much of the night, limiting him to just two first-half points, and those came on a pair of free throws. Michael Finley helped loosen the defense a bit by making his first three shots. He finished with 14 points.

Center Francisco Elson, who had been sidelined since injuring his right shoulder on Dec. 26, was greeted by an enthusiastic cheer when he stepped onto the court early in the second quarter. He made his first shot, a midrange jumper, and finished with four points, two rebounds and two assists in 11 minutes.

"I felt like a little kid out there running around," Elson said. "But (the season)'s starting to get serious, so hopefully I'll do better next time."

The rest of the Spurs hope to do the same.

"We didn't play brilliant," Ginobili said. "But we made some progress."
Buzzer离线中   引用
 2007-01-20 14:51  #2
超级版主

加入日期: 2005-05-07
帖子: 79
现金: 10 盾
回复: Spurs cure ills with Hornets: Ejection gives Popovich early night in easy victory

Leaving hometown allowed former Spur Brown to grow up

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012007.07C.BKNspurs.notebook.20e888a.html

Web Posted: 01/20/2007 12:13 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

It is no secret around the NBA that the Spurs have spent much of the past month looking for ways to upgrade their perimeter.

It also is no secret they passed on a player in their own town who might have been able to provide some help.

After being released by Golden State just before the start of training camp, former Spurs guard Devin Brown didn't land another job until New Orleans signed him on Dec. 21. He's filled in as the Hornets' starting point guard while Chris Paul has been sidelined and entered Friday's game averaging 11.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists, all career highs.

Brown, who worked out in San Antonio and played in local city-league games while he was looking for a team, said his agent spoke to the Spurs officials shortly after he was let go, but they already had opened training camp in France.

"By that time, they already had their roster and they had guys that were working hard, so it was one of those lose-lose situations," Brown said. "Their whole thing was, 'We don't know what we're going to do. Just stay in shape.'"

The Spurs still had ample opportunity to sign Brown after camp, but elected to add rookie guard James White to their roster.

"I think the whole thing was they didn't know what kind of shape I was in or what I was doing," Brown said. "When you're (in San Antonio) there's only one place to really work out and that's the practice facility. They hadn't seen me there, so I think that just left a lot of questions."

When the Spurs decided not to re-sign Brown after the 2004-05 season, they were concerned about his back trouble, which had slowed him, and his work ethic. Brown's lone season in Utah didn't ease the Spurs' concerns.

Brown agrees that leaving San Antonio, where he had a flourishing social life after playing at West Campus High School and UTSA, probably benefited his career.

"It made me grow up in the sense that when I was here in San Antonio, everything was too easy," said Brown, who distributed 25 tickets to family and friends for Friday's game. "You'd work out and then (the rest of the day) was like being at UTSA.

"I made a lot of mistakes and a lot of bad decisions. There were times when on days off, instead of going out and getting a workout. I'd just take the day off like I was Tony (Parker) or Tim (Duncan) and getting all these minutes.

"But being in Utah for a year will slow anybody down."

Brown can play all three perimeter positions, but most of his minutes with the Hornets have come at point guard. He's shooting only 35.8 percent and scouts think he has lost some of his athleticism — two reasons why he might not have been a perfect fit for the Spurs — but he also appears to be a better overall player.

Brown will be a free agent again this summer.

"New Orleans is going to be the first team I look at because they did take a chance on me," Brown said. "After that, as long as I stay healthy, we'll look at all the options."
Buzzer离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转

马刺中文网 - 始于2004年 - 网站地图 - Go Spurs Go!