马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » RMR Day 3: In-person impressions

主题工具
 2008-07-22 08:17  #1
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
RMR Day 3: In-person impressions

Spurs players:

George Hill: George seems to be finding his shooting stroke, which is a good sign. He hit a few three pointers, and seemed very comfortable in his mechanics. (As a side note, Chip Engelland has been in the stands at every game, but not down on the bench with other coaches. On Saturday he sat with R.C. Buford.) It's safe to say Hill outplayed Aaron Miles, which is another good sign. Hill is good at running the fast break; while Pop isn't really known for stressing the fast break, if he wanted to put out a team that can run the court, putting Hill next to Parker and Mahinmi seems like a pretty good lineup. Hill is still having problems finishing at the basket, but did have one play where he muscled his way through to an And-1. Seems to have taken seriously the rule that your FT% must go down 10 points when putting on a Spurs jersey.

Ian Mahinmi: Ian was much more aggressive in this game, which was very good to see. When Ian is aggressive on the offensive block, he's very hard to stop without fouling. His footwork is good, and can blow by slower post players if that side of the court is cleared out. A couple times he looked like he had been watching tape of Tim Duncan's face-up jab-step, but he didn't take advantage of the space by taking a jumper. He'll have to have more confidence in that jumper or develop a bank shot for his face-up moves to be more effective.

Please don't be alarmed when I say this, but I can see why a couple people have compared him to Francisco Elson as far as his ability to run the court. He has a very smooth and fast gait for a big man, and has the energy to run the court on fast breaks or transition opportunities. No doubt if he keeps this energy up in the NBA he'll be able to beat his defender down the court off of Spurs defensive rebounds when the opportunity arises.

James Gist: Gist didn't do too much in this game, which is somewhat unfortunate because he should have been well rested. He didn't have quite as much energy as usual, and maybe he's just fatigued from the entire summer league experience. Still, he showed me a couple new things as far as his rebounding goes. First, he doesn't give up on rebounds. If the ball gets tipped around a bit, he'll keep going after it until someone has fully secured it. Secondly, he's not a guy who assumes he will not be able to get the rebound. If it's anywhere in his vicinity, he'll try to sky and get it. This is a good thing, but it is also something that I think may get him an inordinate amount of over-the-back calls, especially since the tendency of referees is to call over-the-back on almost all rebounds when you're behind the man with position, even if there's minimal contact or less. On the other hand, this may not be a bad thing because I doubt Gist would get into foul trouble in the 20 minutes per game that he would have the potential to get on the NBA squad. It could become more of a problem if he plays 35 minutes a game in Austin.

Malik Hairston: Hairston didn't do too much today, but he continues to show flashes that he might be worth developing. He's getting a little more comfortable on the court as the summer goes on, and isn't selfish on offense for the most part, so he gets relatively limited chances to score. When he's on the court, he's always the guy inbounding the ball on the side of the court. In previous games he's been hesitant on these plays and it has hurt the team, but with added confidence he did a pretty good job on these passes today. Like Mahinmi in previous games, Hairston needs to turn up the intensity/aggressiveness if he's going to fill up the stat sheet either in points, rebounds, or steals.

I'll post my thoughts on other Spurs players and players from other teams later in this thread, but it seems the information on this game was very limited, so I wanted to get these initial thoughts on the Big 4 out to the world. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101704

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用
 2008-07-22 12:24  #2
啦啦队

加入日期: 2006-10-22
帖子: 122
现金: 199 盾
回复: RMR Day 3: In-person impressions

thanks
mayday离线中   引用
 2008-07-22 15:48  #3