马刺中文论坛
用户名 忘了密码?
密码 注册

马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » 2.15 @ Pistons: Duncan, Elson rule inside in victory over the Pistons

主题工具
 2007-02-15 15:06  #1
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
2.15 @ Pistons: Duncan, Elson rule inside in victory over the Pistons

Spurs cap off long trip at 4-4: Duncan, Elson rule inside in victory over the Pistons

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021507.01C.BKNspurs.pistons.gamer.128be5b.html

Web Posted: 02/15/2007 12:09 AM CST
San Antonio Express-news

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Tim Duncan and Tony Parker showed off their All-Star skills early.

The pair combined for 39 points in their last game before heading to Las Vegas for the All-Star Game on Sunday. Manu Ginobili added 20 points to help the Spurs end their longest road trip of the season on a roll.

After defeating the Jason Kidd-less Nets on Tuesday, the Spurs stopped the Pistons' seven-game winning streak with a 90-81 victory Wednesday.

The Spurs finished the eight-game rodeo trip 4-4. Their previous worst rodeo-trip record was 6-2.

"We have been fairly inconsistent all year long," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We haven't really put together very many 48-minute games and that one we played well for 48. It was actually one of our better games of the year and I just don't think that Detroit shot that well tonight."

Center Francisco Elson also gave the Spurs a lift. He had 12 points and a career-high 18 rebounds, helping the Spurs win the rebounding battle 45-35.

"Francisco Elson was fantastic for us," Popovich said. "He was great on the boards. He ran the floor. He was active. It's the finest game he has played for us, and I think he is finally starting to figure out our system and become comfortable with his teammates."

The Pistons came out ice-cold, making only 12 of 38 field goals (32 percent) in the first half. The Spurs, by contrast, were 23 of 41 from the floor to take a 51-34 lead at the break.

"We moved the ball and we got open shots and we took open shots," said Duncan, who had 23 points. "Those guys are a heck of defensive ball club and you have to move the ball and make their defense shift. Otherwise, they are very good at contesting shots."

Duncan said it wasn't hard to get excited about playing the East-leading Pistons. The Spurs, who started the eight-game rodeo trip 2-4, are seeking consistency.

"We are taking all games seriously right now because we are not playing very well and we are just trying to get back up on the upswing," Duncan said. "We wanted to go into the break, especially because we dropped a couple of that we should have won, with a win. It was an easy game to play."

The Spurs held off a late run by the Pistons. The Spurs led by as many as 20, 70-50 with 1:13 to play in the third quarter, before Detroit showed signs of life.

"It was sloppy first half for us, too many turnovers, a lot of mental letdowns" Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups said. "By the time we started fighting, we made it a game of it and just couldn't get over the hump."

The Pistons closed to within seven, 86-79, with 1:26 to go. Parker then lost the ball out of bounds to give it back to the Pistons. Billups' 3-point attempt with 57.9 seconds to play rattled in and out, and the Pistons' comeback chances were gone.

"If I would have made that 3-pointer it might have turned things around, maybe not," Billups said. "But when you are fighting uphill for so long, you have to play perfect."

Richard Hamilton led the Pistons with 20 points and Billups added 19. Chris Webber scored 14 and Rasheed Wallace 13.

"We have a lot of experienced guys and you know that Detroit is going to come back," Popovich said. "It was nice to see us maintain our composure."

The Spurs hope they can build on the victory after the All-Star break. They know they will be fighting for playoff seeding in the West.

"It was great to play like that, especially with the way we have been playing," Ginobili said. "We are not very satisfied with the way we have played the previous seven and tonight we showed that we can get through it.

"Today we were very intense and that made a big difference. On offense we moved the ball pretty well and made some shots to maintain the lead, but it all comes back to playing 48 minutes. It will be good to enjoy the break a little more, and we will be optimistic for what is coming.

"We know we can do it, we just have to start all over again, but from this point."

Notebook: Ex-Spur stays quiet on status as backup

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021507.06C.BKNspurs.notebook.18186e0.html

Web Posted: 02/15/2007 12:21 AM CST
San Antonio Express-News

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — When Ben Wallace left the Detroit Pistons for the Chicago Bulls, Nazr Mohammed seemed like the perfect fit to fill the void.

But since Chris Webber arrived in Detroit from Philadelphia and took over at starting center, Mohammed has been relegated to the bench, playing in four of the previous 15 games for a total of 27 minutes.

Mohammed had the chance to re-sign with the Spurs last summer but chose the Pistons. He was injured last season, worked his way back into the Spurs' lineup but was benched during the playoffs.

"I could have stayed, but I made the decision to come here instead," said Mohammed, who played in 80 games, starting 30 for the Spurs last season.

Mohammed's numbers in Detroit are similar to those with the Spurs last season. He is averaging 6.5 points and 5.2 rebounds. He finished last season averaging 6.2 points and 5.2 rebounds.

"There are no similarities to the situation there and here," said Mohammed, referring to his limited role. "It is a lot different here. We are winning. We just want to keep winning and win a championship. There is more than one way to skin a cat so I just want to go with how we are doing it now."

The Pistons are 11-3 since acquiring Webber, who was bought out by the 76ers in January. Rumors since have had the Pistons shopping center Dale Davis and Mohammed.

"I don't want to comment on that," Mohammed said. "The only things I want to talk about are the games and playing. Those are the things I can control."

Spurs starting center Francisco Elson had 12 points and a career-high 18 rebounds Wednesday. He is averaging 5.2 points and 5.0 rebounds in 18.2 minutes a game.

Mohammed said despite some inconsistency this season his former team will be fine when the postseason rolls around.

"I have watched them and when it comes right down to it they are going to be right there," he said. "They have guys in that room that know how to turn it up when playoff time comes."

Never gets old: Spurs center Tim Duncan will be playing in his ninth All-Star Game on Sunday in Las Vegas. He said it is still a thrill.

"It never gets old," Duncan said. "It's not only an honor to get to the game, but to be picked by the fans. It's special."

Visiting friends: Manu Ginobili said it is nice to see forward Carlos Delfino, who plays with him on Argentina's national team, finding a role with the Pistons.

The pair helped Argentina to the gold medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

"It was hard for him to make such a big change, moving here from Europe and not being able to play," said Ginobili, who had 20 points Wednesday. "Now he's in the rotation and he's an important piece, he's in a totally different mood."

Ginobili said it is fun to work against Delfino, who scored two point for the Pistons off the bench.

"We have played against each other so much, we know each other's game very well," he said. "It's just great to see each other on the court and realize we are making steps to be more important players on our teams."

Bad timing: Pistons coach Flip Saunders said this isn't the best time for the All-Star break.

"When you are playing pretty well, you would rather not (have a break)," he said. "But you also have to look down the road a little and realize that with 30 games left you need a little bit of a breather."

Popovich staying pat: After the Spurs acquired Melvin Ely on Tuesday, coach Gregg Popovich was asked if the team might make another trade before next Thursday's deadline.

"No," Popovich said. "We're a veritable juggernaut now. Why would I want to change that?"

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转