马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » 2.15 Like Father ...

主题工具
 2007-02-16 14:52  #1
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
2.15 Like Father ...

Like Father ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021607.01D.BKC_colorado_silas_0216.12d520e.html

Web Posted: 02/15/2007 11:15 PM CST
Tim Griffin
Express-News

James Silas has followed his son off to college.

The legendary former Spurs guard has moved to Colorado this winter so he can monitor the basketball development of his son, Xavier, a freshman guard for the Buffaloes.

Silas' parental guidance has helped his youngest son emerge as one of the few bright spots for the Buffaloes, who are battling to stay out of the Big 12 cellar. Xavier Silas has averaged 11.8 points and 4.0 rebounds for the 6-15 Buffaloes, with his father and mother traveling to most of his games.

"We're trying to give X some support," James Silas said. "He comes when he needs to, brings his laundry over and eats some of his Mom's good food. Not being in his business, but just letting him know we're there if he needs us."

Much like his father, the younger Silas is known for his fierce competitive nature as much as his offensive arsenal. His father had a big hand in nurturing both.

"Sometimes when I was growing up it was a little hard being his son," Xavier Silas said. "He was perfectionist in the gym when he was working with me. But it's helped me develop into the player that I am."

The muscular 6-foot-5, 195-pound sophomore is a little bigger than his father was. His size makes him a tough matchup for most of the Big 12's guards because he's too quick for larger opponents and too muscular for the smaller ones.

"He's following right after his dad," Nebraska coach Doc Sadler said. "The thing I remember about his dad was how hard he played during his career. Xavier certainly has that."

The most noticeable similarity he shares with his father is his midrange game, which was emphasized early in his development. It's helped him become the Buffaloes' leading scorer in six of his past eight games, averaging 14.5 points during that period.

Many young players don't necessarily concentrate on that area of the court. It's why Silas describes himself as a "throwback" because of his old-school skills.

"It's a great part of the game to have, because people don't expect it as much anymore," Xavier Silas said. "Most players either go to the rim or shoot threes. I like to be a little different. My father helped me get there."

Part of the reason for his quick development during his first college season came after he played last season at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., after graduating from Austin High School.

Reasoning that he would be too young to make of a contribution without prep school — Silas just turned 19 last month — his family decided he needed some extra seasoning.

The experience helped him, as he averaged 12.8 points on a team that was stacked with seven other Division I-A signees.

"It was really, really cold up there," Silas said. "But I think it benefited me and it was a great learning experience. Everything turned around for me because I played against good players, got bigger and stronger and more ready to play in college."

Colorado coach Ricardo Patton has been pleased with Silas' development this season, both as a player and as a team leader.

"You can't shake his confidence, which is something I like," Patton said. "No matter what you yell at him, he'll just come back and play basketball. He's got the same toughness and confidence his dad did. He walks with a swagger about him."

Silas scored a team-high 16 points in the Buffaloes' loss at Kansas State on Saturday. But a more worrisome number was his 10 turnovers — a single-game high for any Big 12 player this season.

"He just had some ill-advised passes at times, but Xavier really competes," Patton told reporters after the game. "I like his competitive spirit, and he'll get better at taking care of the basketball."

His father showed similar late development after he was cut in the Houston Rockets' training camp after coming out of Stephen F. Austin College. Silas matured with the Spurs, earning ABA All-Star honors twice in his eight-year career with the team, curtailed by a knee injury. His uniform number was the first retired by the team in 1984.

Since his retirement, Silas has moved to Austin where he works with the Austin Parks and Recreation Department's education and crime-prevention programs and is also involved in the city's midnight basketball leagues.

Through a friend, Silas arranged to stay at a condominium in Boulder through his son's first season. He's come away with some definite areas for development after the season finishes.

"You always have to emphasize staying focused," James Silas said. "Sometimes, a young player can lose that focus. I'd like to see him work this summer to improve that. It's something we'll work on strongly."

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用
 2007-02-16 14:52  #2
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
回复: 2.15 Like Father ...

难得的有关 James Silas 的报道…… Spurs 历史上为数不多的巨星之一

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启