2008-10-19 16:25  #1
刺猬

秦七的头像

加入日期: 2007-08-05
帖子: 1836
现金: 1285 盾
[10.19 vs.步行者] Popovich in no rush to make roster cuts

Popovich in no rush to make roster cuts

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Popovich_in_no_rush_to_make_roster_cuts.html

Web Posted: 10/19/2008 12:00 CDT
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

Five games into the preseason, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich still hasn't trimmed his training camp roster — and might not any time soon.

There are seven players — Anthony Tolliver, Salim Stoudamire, Darryl Watkins, Desmon Farmer, Malik Hairston, Devin Green and Charles Gaines — competing for a maximum of two roster spots.

Popovich has until Oct. 27 to cut the roster to 15. Before Saturday's 106-98 victory over Indiana he offered three reasons why he is in no hurry to do so.

“We want to make sure we're not making a mistake, and we want to make (the players) feel like they've gotten a really good chance to show what they can do,” Popovich said. And thirdly?

“I'm a coward,” he said. “It's hard to tell a young kid who has worked as hard as these guys we're not going to keep you. Until I have to do it, I'm not going to do it.”

Homecoming for Foster: Pacers center Jeff Foster swears he had no hand in scheduling his team's latest preseason trip. It only seems that way. With their next exhibition not slated until Tuesday in New Orleans, the Pacers will spend an extra day today in San Antonio — Foster's hometown.

“I haven't got to visit my parents by myself in forever,” said Foster, a 1995 graduate of Madison High School.

The frequency of his in-season trips home won't be picking up any time soon. Foster, who calls himself a “Hoosier-slash-Texan,” signed a two-year contract extension this offseason that will keep him in Indiana through the end of the 2010-11 season.

“I'd like to play two more seasons after that,” said Foster, who played collegiately at Texas State. “So we'll see.”

Foster is entering his 11th season in the league, all of them with Indiana.

Bonner's motivation: It should come as no surprise that Matt Bonner had another good shooting night Saturday. After all, he loves his Boston Red Sox.

After going 6 of 7 and scoring 15 points in Thursday's victory at Cleveland, Spurs staffers joked the Bonner's hot shooting coincided with the Red Sox's comeback from seven runs down in Game 5 of the American League championship series. With the Red Sox back in action Saturday, the joke returned for an encore.

“Everyone kept saying, ‘You have to shoot well so the Red Sox will win,'” Bonner said.

Bonner obliged, and so did his beloved Boston. Bonner scored another 15 points against the Pacers, going 5 of 9 from the field with three 3-pointers. Meanwhile, the Red Sox took Game 6 over Tampa Bay 4-2.

Hill update: Spurs rookie point guard George Hill will undergo further tests Monday on his sprained left wrist. If the results confirm what team doctors already believe — that the joint has no structural damage — Hill could return in time for the Spurs' preseason finale.
 2008-10-19 16:29  #2
刺猬

秦七的头像

[10.18 ]Spurs face some tough roster cuts

Spurs face some tough roster cuts

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_face_some_tough_roster_cuts.html

Web Posted: 10/18/2008 12:00 CDT
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

With their first roster cuts in the offing, the Spurs returned home late Friday night from their only extended road trip of the preseason with decisions awaiting coach Gregg Popovich that he would rather he not have to make.

With 13 guaranteed contracts, the Spurs can add no more than two players to their opening-night roster. The numbers game is daunting, both for the players trying to earn a spot and the coaching staff that must decide which players will be let go.

Veteran free agent Salim Stoudamire, a combination guard whose ability to run the club from the point got a little more valuable when rookie George Hill suffered a badly sprained left thumb in Tuesday's preseason game against the Pistons, has yet to play, victim of a nagging right groin strain.

He may be ready to go in tonight's preseason game at AT&T Center against the Indiana Pacers. The basketball staff is eager to see him in action, and how he fares will greatly affect all the players hoping to make the roster.

Malik Hairston, Devin Green and Desmon Farmer, the three young wing players competing for a position, all have played well enough that Popovich winces at the notion of giving any one of them the bad news that seems inevitable for at least two of them, perhaps before the team's pregame practice, a workout open to the public at AT&T Center at 10 a.m.

After four games, the non-guaranteed player who may have the best chance of sticking is power forward Anthony Tolliver. Through the first four preseason games, he has played 88 minutes, and has impressed with an aggressive approach at the offensive end of the court and a studious approach at the defensive end.

“Anthony's done a good job,” Popovich said after Thursday's victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers at Gund Arena. “He's shot the ball for us. He's a conscientious young man and a quick learner. He's trying to do a better job on the boards and learn the system a bit. He's someone we're real high on.”

Tolliver acknowledges that he was too hyped up in his first two preseason games to shoot the ball with the sort of confident precision that earned him an invitation to training camp after playing for the Spurs' summer league team. Then, he shot 57.1 percent from 3-point range. Going into Thursday's game in Cleveland, he was just 3 for 16 from beyond the arc. He made two of three 3-pointers against the Cavs, finishing with 10 points and the admiration of Tim Duncan.

“He can really shoot the ball,” Duncan said. “There are some details of the system that he needs to learn about, but he brings a lot to the table.”

Tolliver credits Duncan with helping him control his occasional overexuberance on the court, saying Duncan's persistent advice has been to slow down and relax.

“He's a little excitable,” Duncan said.

Tolliver, 6-foot-8 and 240 pounds, continues to believe in his shooting stroke and focus more on rebounding and the Spurs' defensive schemes. Thursday's game, he said, helped.

“I do feel I'm getting my shooting rhythm,” Tolliver said after making three of six shots, including two of three from long range, and scoring 10 points in 18 minutes against the Cavaliers. “I came out relaxed from the beginning. My first shot was quite a bit long, like most of my shots in the first three games, but once I calmed down and took my time, I took a few more and they started going in. I got my confidence from that.”

If anything, however, the evaluation process got even more difficult on Thursday when center Darryl Watkins showed off defensive skills highly valued on a team that always stresses defense first. Watkins blocked three shots against the Cavaliers and was active and aggressive on the backboards as well.
 2008-10-19 16:34  #3
刺猬

秦七的头像

[10.19 vs.步行者] Parker drives Spurs past Pacers

Parker drives Spurs past Pacers

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Parker_drives_Spurs_past_Pacers.html

Web Posted: 10/19/2008 12:00 CDT
Jeff McDonald - Express-news

Only minutes into his first training camp with the Spurs, Salim Stoudamire suffered a strained groin.

The cause was a common one.

“I was guarding Tony Parker in a one-on-one drill,” Stoudamire said. “He made a move, I went to cut him off ... and that's how I injured my groin.”

On the shelf since Sept. 30, Stoudamire finally saw his first action of the preseason Saturday. Luckily for him, unluckily for the Indiana Pacers, Parker was on his team this time.

At times running what seemed to be a one-man layup drill, Parker scored 19 points and had eight assists in 23 minutes, leading the Spurs to a 106-98 victory at the AT&T Center.

Parker had all but three of his points and all but six of his assists in the first half. Given the quickness of coach Gregg Popovich's hook for most of his starters in the preseason, Parker figured he needed to do his damage early.

“I knew I was not going to play in the second half,” Parker said. “Then Pop surprised me and put me in in the third quarter.”

Saturday's performance was pretty much par for the preseason course for Parker, who came into the game averaging 10.7 points and three assists.

When the Spurs' final roster is announced before the Oct. 27 deadline, it's safe to say Parker's name will be on it.

Much of Saturday night, still, was about assessing a group of players who might not be.

There are seven players vying for a maximum of two open spots on the Spurs roster. A handful of those bubble players strengthened their case against Indiana.

Desmon Farmer had 14 points, making 4 of 8 3-pointers. Anthony Tolliver scored just six points on 3-of-11 shooting — and was 0 for 4 from 3-point range — but produced in other ways. He had eight rebounds and three steals.

Malik Hairston turned in an active 18 minutes, with four rebounds and a steal to go with four points. The Spurs won without All-Star forward Tim Duncan, who drew his second day off of the preseason.

All in all, Popovich left the arena Saturday night still dreading the day when he has to break out the hatchet and cut as many as five players. He has no immediate timetable to make cuts.

“They'll come when they come,” Popovich said. “I just hate telling a kid no.”

Saturday marked an important night for Stoudamire, just to get on the floor. One of four point guards in camp, Stoudamire is on a make-good deal with the Spurs, meaning he must make the team to guarantee his contract fully.

Since running into Parker, one of the NBA's most common causes of strained groins, Stoudamire had been unable practice, unable to play, unable to show Spurs coaches much of anything.

In his preseason debut Saturday, Stoudamire shook off some rust and showed flashes of why the Spurs believe he can be their version of Eddie House, the instant-offense gunner for the NBA champion Boston Celtics. Stoudamire scored eight points in 21 minutes, draining a 17-footer just 10 seconds into his first-quarter shift. He shot 3 for 11, however, a mark he hopes to improve going forward.

“I'm not worried about my shot,” Stoudamire said. “The only thing I'm worried about (with the groin) is being able to play defense and move laterally.”

Stoudamire still has two preseason games, and a week and a half of practice, to prove himself. As long as he can avoid injury — which might mean avoiding Parker — he figures he will be OK.
 2008-10-20 10:57  #4
吉祥物

bob3321的头像

加入日期: 2008-02-18
帖子: 202
现金: 0 盾
回复: [10.19 vs.步行者] Popovich in no rush to make roster cuts

没有翻译吗??我的英文水准不够
 2008-10-20 12:54  #5
板凳

cl811的头像

加入日期: 2008-05-10