2009-05-22 16:07  #1
裁判

加入日期: 2007-01-18
帖子: 487
现金: 4638 盾
[转帖]Ex-IUPUI star's rookie season leaves everybody smiling

Ex-IUPUI star's rookie season leaves everybody smiling
By Jeff Rabjohns
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090522/SPORTS0607/905220379/1068/SPORTS06/Ex-IUPUI+star+s+rookie+season+leaves+everybody+smiling

George Hill learned many lessons in the NBA this season, including that a rookie needs to know his place -- even in the parking lot.

After an early season practice with the San Antonio Spurs, Hill came out to find his Escalade filled to the brim with foam packing peanuts, courtesy of his new teammates.

His offense? He was in All-Star center Tim Duncan's parking spot.

"I didn't think we even had 'spots' because they didn't have names on them," the former Broad Ripple High School
and IUPUI star said recently while he was in town watching his youth league team play.

"I was always at the gym an hour or two before everybody, and I just parked closest to the door. I came out six hours later and I was like, 'What happened here?' "

Always good-natured, Hill laughed it off and went about his rookie season in the NBA.

An early entry candidate after his junior season at IUPUI, Hill became the school's only first-round NBA draft pick.
But going to an established team like the Spurs with stars such as Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, Hill wasn't expected to play much.

After their first-round playoff loss to Dallas, coach Gregg Popovich said he wished he would have played Hill more. He promised to do so next season.

Hill, a 6-2 point guard, averaged 5.7 points, 1.8 assists and 2.1 rebounds in the regular season, and about the
same in the playoffs. As important, he learned about the difference between the 82-game regular season and the postseason.

"There's more focus on that one game," Hill said while waiting for the first-grade basketball team he sponsors, G3 Progeny, to play at the Indy Southside Sports Academy.

"You have time to study other players. You have time to study the whole team, what their strengths and
weaknesses are."

Hill showed he was more ready for the pros than many people expected. He scored in double figures in 10 of his
first 17 games, with three 20-point performances, as the Spurs dealt with injuries in the backcourt.

The state's leading scorer as a high school senior, Hill was IUPUI's top offensive player in college. In the NBA, he
already is making a name for himself as a defender.

"They're now talking about him becoming a great defensive player and how that's what he's going to make his
living on," IUPUI coach Ron Hunter said.

"When George came into our program, he had no idea what defense was. For him to turn himself into a great
defensive player says a lot about him and how hard he's worked."

Popovich said Hill will be part of the primary rotation next season.

"He's somebody that's going to be important to the Spurs both at the point guard and the off guard," Popovich
said. "Obviously the pick-and-roll is big in the league and he's learning that offensively and defensively, but he's a
fantastic defender. That's his major skill. He's learning to shoot the 3, and he's going to get better as he gets more experience."

Hill plans to spend part of his summer working out in Indianapolis. He wants a better jump shot.

He'll be sure to make time for the little guys, too.

"It's just a joy," said Hill, who recently had his first chance to watch his first-grade team play a full game. "I never had anyone as a mentor I could look up to start me off on the right foot when I was little.

"To see these kids wearing the GHill Progeny jersey and the headbands, it puts a smile on my face because it puts a smile on their face because it's giving them an opportunity."

此帖于 2009-05-22 16:25 被 lstina10404 编辑.
lstina10404离线中   引用
 2009-05-22 17:48  #2

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
回复: [转帖]Ex-IUPUI star's rookie season leaves everybody smiling

身体练的很棒
 2009-05-23 11:43  #3
Thx, Bruce

xinsuimadong的头像