马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » Spurs’ second-round picks have lot to prove

主题工具
 2008-07-17 16:58  #1
Young

tinysands的头像

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
tinysands 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第10名 tinysands 荣获 2006-07 Fantasy Games Iceman 联盟亚军
Spurs’ second-round picks have lot to prove

Spurs’ second-round picks have lot to prove

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_second-round_picks.html

Web Posted: 07/17/2008 3:57 GMT

LAS VEGAS — The Spurs tell all their summer league players they can’t shoot their way on to the team’s NBA roster.

What is important isn’t scoring. It’s playing team basketball at both ends of the court and competing.

On the other hand, if you are a second-round pick, it is not a good idea to miss all your shots.

Little wonder, then, that Malik Hairston, the guard-forward from Oregon the Spurs acquired in a draft-night swap of second-rounders with the Phoenix Suns, fretted that film of his very first game in silver and black might haunt him for the rest of the summer.

“I’m sure he hopes somebody will burn the film of the first game,” said Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer, in charge of the summer league squad, “and nobody will ever see it again.”

Hairston took six shots in that first game, Monday night against the Memphis Grizzlies, and missed all six. He looked lost at both ends of the court. He improved a bit in Tuesday’s game against the New Orleans Hornets, making three of six shots, and a little more in Wednesday’s game against the New York Knicks, when he made four of six shots in an 82-67 victory.

“The first day,” he said, “was just one of those things. I was just glad to get it over with.”

Hairston and fellow second-rounder James Gist, a 6-foot-9 forward from Maryland, know they have plenty to prove to the Spurs coaches if they expect NBA contracts.

Gist had a second consecutive double-double in Wednesday’s game, getting 10 points and 10 rebounds after scoring 14 and grabbing 11 rebounds in Tuesday’s game against the Hornets.

The Spurs expected Gist to rebound and defend, and have been happy to see his willingness to shoot from the perimeter. He has made 13 of 23 shots in three games, and 11 of his shots have come outside 15 feet.

“It’s something I really worked on to become a bigger threat,” Gist said, “and then use that to get to the rim. When you can knock down that shot consistently, it makes you much more a threat on offense, and that’s what I want to improve on.”

Still, it’s Gist’s physicality and effort are what figure to give him his best shot at making the squad.

“Today, James wasn’t quite as good,” Budenholzer said, “but the first two games he was just outstanding, as far as activity and effort. He has a knack about him. He’s competitive and energetic and his teammates love playing with him. He’s one of those guys who can really help his team change a game in summer league with his energy and activity. He’s been phenomenal.

“I thought, coming in, he was a decent shooter, but I’ve been a little surprised he’s shot it as well as he has. He’s had a few good days of it. He’s got a chance to be a decent shooter. We want him to shoot. I do think he needs to mix in driving and attacking a little bit more. He may be shooting a few too many jump shots, but I’m happy he’s got the confidence to take them. He knows what he has to do that to make it in the league.”

Gist’s goal for the remainder of the summer competition — the Spurs play their final game in Sin City tonight before moving to Salt Lake City for games in the Rocky Mountain Revue — is simple: Help the summer leaguers get victories by doing what he does.

“I’m not sure yet I’ve impressed anybody,” he said after Wednesday’s game. “I just want to play my game and do everything I can to help my team win. I want to play defense with energy and rebound the ball and start the break, and when I get them, knock down open shots.”

The Spurs on Wednesday won with relative ease because their inside players, Gist, Ian Mahinmi and Roger Powell, dominated the Knicks’ undersized front line players. Mahinmi had 14 points and 11 rebounds, but missed seven of 11 shots. Powell, who has some NBA experience, scored 15.

George Hill, the Spurs’ first-round draftee, had another rocky game at the offensive end of the court, missing all six of his shots. He is 0 for 16 in his last two games, and 2 for 25 in the summer league.

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中   引用
 2008-07-17 17:22  #2
believe

界灵fsa的头像

加入日期: 2006-09-02
帖子: 3235
现金: 161 盾
回复: Spurs’ second-round picks have lot to prove

引用:
“I thought, coming in, he was a decent shooter, but I’ve been a little surprised he’s shot it as well as he has. He’s had a few good days of it. He’s got a chance to be a decent shooter. We want him to shoot. I do think he needs to mix in driving and attacking a little bit more. He may be shooting a few too many jump shots, but I’m happy he’s got the confidence to take them. He knows what he has to do that to make it in the league.”

多练练投篮,看看能不能胜任SF。
界灵fsa离线中   引用
 2008-07-17 19:20  #3

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
回复: Spurs’ second-round picks have lot to prove

Bud对Gist的评价好高呃。
 2008-07-17 22:34  #4
管理员

加入日期: 2004-04-25