加入日期: 2007-08-05
帖子: 1836
现金: 1285 盾
[10.15 @峨]Spurs' win doesnˇt provide answers

Spurs' win doesnˇt provide answers

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_win_doesnt_provide_answers.html

Web Posted: 10/14/2008 10:20 CDT
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.  Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likely will make some cuts when his club returns to San Antonio after the two-game road trip that began here last night with an 86-64 victory over the Detroit Pistons.

Knowing this, he allotted significant playing time to each of the three young wing players trying to carve out a spot on the regular season roster.

The head coachˇs fondest wish: ¨Iˇd love for somebody to make it impossible for me to cut him,〃 he said.

That probably didnˇt happen Tuesday.

Nothing Popovich saw Tuesday placed Malik Hairston, Desmon Farmer or Devin Green on the uncuttable list. Each had good moments, and bad, against the Pistons.

But Popovich saw something late in the second half of his teamˇs first preseason victory that may change the dynamic of his roster evaluations altogether. Rookie point guard George Hill, after another impressive performance in the first half, suffered a sprained left thumb when he got tangled with Pistons big man Antonio McDyess under the Detroit basket.

¨Weˇre not sure,〃 Popovich said, ¨but he may have either a bad sprain or a torn ligament. Weˇll have to wait for the doctor on that and hope for the best.〃

A torn ligament likely would sideline Hill for an extended period. That could present the evaluation process with an unanticipated detour.

The X-ray machine at Van Andel Arena, where Tuesdayˇs game was played, was inoperative, so the extent of Hillˇs injury could not be determined. Hill will be examined today in Cleveland to diagnosis the extent of the injury.

Hill isnˇt sure how he injured the thumb, only that it resulted as he tried to box out McDyess, a veteran power forward who is one of the NBAˇs stronger post players.

¨It got a little physical down there,〃 Hill said. ¨Iˇll just wait for the exam tomorrow and hope for the best.〃

Before suffering the injury, Hill had knocked down 3 of 5 shots, including 2 of 3 3-point attempts.

He scored eight points, with four assists.

¨All in all,〃 Popovich said, ¨heˇs showing more confidence all the time and more awareness of what weˇre trying to do.〃

All of which makes the wait for todayˇs examination of Hillˇs thumb even more nerve-racking.

With starter Tony Parker sitting out Tuesdayˇs game with what Popovich called ¨an Achilles thing〃  better described as minor soreness in the All-Star point guardˇs left Achilles tendon  Popovich ended up giving big guard-small forward Ime Udoka some time at point guard in the second half.

¨I didnˇt want to overplay Jacque (Vaughn),〃 Popovich said, ¨so Ime got a little time at the point. He enjoys handling the ball. Though heˇs not going to blow by anybody, he enjoys it, so we were able to do it for him tonight.〃

Udoka scored all seven of his points while playing the point, and did a decent job of running the Spursˇ offense.

¨Iˇve played a little spot point guard here and there,〃 he said. ¨Once George got hurt, Pop told me to be ready to take over for Jacque. I just tried to keep the little fellows off me. It would have been easier if all the other vets had been out there with me, but we managed to maintain the lead, so it worked out all right.〃

The Spurs never trailed against the Pistons, who had won their first four preseason games. The Spurs held them scoreless through the first 4儅儲1/2 minutes of the game, then limiting Detroit to eight points in the third period.

As for the evaluation of the three young wing players trying to make the roster, Popovich said he was no closer to a decision than he had been before Tuesdayˇs tipoff.

¨Theyˇre all competing very well,〃 he said, ¨trying to play the best basketball they can and trying to make the basketball team.

¨All three of them are making it very difficult on us. Theyˇre all playing very good basketball, each doing different things. It makes it a hard evaluation.〃
 2008-10-15 18:44  #2
刺猬

秦七的头像

加入日期: 2007-08-05
帖子: 1836
现金: 1285 盾
[10.15 @活塞]Spurs' Parker sits out with sore Achilles tendon

Spurs' Parker sits out with sore Achilles tendon

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Parker_sits_out_with_sore_Achilles_tendon.html

Web Posted: 10/14/2008 10:32 CDT
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Spurs point guard Tony Parker did not suit up for Tuesday’s preseason game at Van Andel Arena because of minor soreness in his left Achilles tendon, but Coach Gregg Popovich called the decision to sit his star point guard strictly precautionary.

“He has a little Achilles thing that is bothering him a little bit,” Popovich said. “Nothing serious, but we’re not taking any chances.

“With (Manu) Ginobili out for a while, we don’t want to lose him, too. If that happened, I wouldn’t even want to go to the games. I’d just go have dinner and check the results in the morning.”

It may also have been Parker’s turn to watch from behind the bench in street clothes. He was the only starter who had played in the first two preseason games.

Tim Duncan, Fabricio Oberto, Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen had been held out of one, or the other.

Finley and Roger Mason also were held out of Tuesday’s game so Popovich could get a long look at the three young wing players battling for a roster spot.

The Spurs have carried 20 players since the start of training camp, but Popovich said he likely would make some cuts after the team returns to San Antonio after its game in Cleveland on Thursday.

“I think at the end of these two games we should probably start to trim it down in some way, shape or form,” Popovich said.

Thomas ready: Unless he reinjures the left hamstring that has kept him out of most of the preseason, veteran Kurt Thomas will make his debut for the Spurs in Thursday’s game against the Cavaliers.

“I’m definitely ready to do something besides watch the other guys play,” Thomas said. “I understand a hamstring (strain) is something you just have to be patient with. That’s an injury you really don’t want to rush, but I’m really ready to get away from ‘Brungy.’ That man is serious.”

Strength and conditioning coach Mike ‘Brungy’ Brungardt has been running Thomas and swingman Salim Stoudamire, nursing a right groin strain, through a rigorous conditioning program.

Isn’t it Grand: Popovich so enjoyed his two days in this Western Michigan city he sounded like the president of the local Chamber of Commerce.

“I’d never been to Grand Rapids before,” he said, “but I think it’s a really neat place. It’s beautiful from the hotel, all the hills around, with the colors of the trees.

“It’s just great. Really cool.”

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转

马刺中文网 - 始于2004年 - 网站地图 - Go Spurs Go!