加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
Healthy Spurs return to San Antonio

Healthy Spurs return to San Antonio

By Chris Hoffman
The Herald-Zeitung
Published September 29, 2009

SAN ANTONIO — Keith Bogans’ bags are still packed and he’s still getting use to actually being a San Antonio Spur.

“I just got into town two days ago and I’m still learning my way around,” Bogans said during Monday’s media day at the Spurs’ practice facility. “But I’m happy to be here and can’t wait to get to practice.”

The Spurs revamped their roster during the summer and Tony Parker noticed a different feeling in the locker room.

“I came in the locker room and half the guys are all new,” Parker said. “It’s kind of nice. This is a new team and tomorrow we’ll get a chance to see where we’re at.”

Coach Gregg Popovich said these moves to improve the team were in the making long before last season’s first-round ouster by Dallas in the playoffs.

“I think it’s important at a certain point to realize that it’s time to turn,” Popovich said. “We felt like that for a couple years and slowly moved toward it, knowing full well at some point we had to change. And last year was our last attempt with that group.”

San Antonio added a number of players, but it was Richard Jefferson who made the biggest splash. He knows he’s coming into a team that already has a solid core of players.

“You have that established group with Tim, Tony and Manu,” Jefferson said. “You just want to contribute to that.”

The former Milwaukee Buck was obtained from the Bucks for Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas back in June.

The Spurs also brought aboard veterans Theo Ratliff, Keith Bogans, and Antonio McDyess and added All-America forward DeJuan Blair in the draft.

McDyess said he was contemplating retirement before he got the call from the Spurs.

“I tell people that if the Spurs didn’t call me, then I was going to retire,” McDyess said. “I feel privileged to be with such a high-caliber team like the Spurs.”

When asked how much he had left in the tank, McDyess was quick to point the high-powered perception at himself.

“I wondered that before last season and I thought I came out and played at high level,” McDyess said. “I think I’ve got a pretty good game and I just want to fit in.

“It’s going to be easy for me. I’m not expecting to get the ball that much.”

The ball will most definitely going to the “Big Three” in Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, who are coming into the 2009-10 season healthy, which is something that was in question all last season.

Ginobili, who missed 38 games last season, said that watching the Spurs from the bench during the playoffs was one of the hardest things he’s had to endure as a professional.

“I hated sitting out and not being able to contribute to the team,” Ginobili said. “But I accepted it and got myself ready to get healthy during the offseason.”

The word on Ginobili is that he feels no pain in his ankle and will be ready to go, while Parker and Jefferson are nearing 100 percent after their recent ankle and thumb injuries, but all three will be eased into training camp and will play sparingly in the preseason.

But the biggest question coming into this season is the health of Duncan, who is showing signs of 12 years of wear and tear on his knees, but made a conscious effort to alter his preseason regimen.

The 33-year-old center started his preseason workout schedule a month later than last season and kept his conditioning to boxing and swimming.

“I’m not gearing down or playing at a different level,” Duncan said. “I’m just trying to stay healthy. I want to be healthy at the right times this year.”

Duncan acknowledged that the window of opportunity for the Spurs’ championship hopes are fading, but he understands that the moves that were made put San Antonio in a great position to make a few runs at a title.

“(The front office) stepped up to the plate and put a team together that has a lot of talent,” Duncan said. “But right now that is just on paper. We have to go out and mesh as a team.

“I’m really excited for the season. I’ve got a couple of years still left in me and I want to end my career strong.”

http://herald-zeitung.com/story.lasso?ewcd=de9ac1806018ce88
Riverwalkman离线中   引用
 2009-09-29 22:36  #2

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
回复: Healthy Spurs return to San Antonio

这篇的亮点是quote很多...
Riverwalkman离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则