马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » Mahinmi wants to show why he can join Spurs

主题工具
 2008-07-18 13:10  #1

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
Mahinmi wants to show why he can join Spurs

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_wants_to_show_why_he_can_join_Spurs.html

Mike Monroe - Express-News LAS VEGAS — When the Spurs’ Ian Mahinmi heard reports that Tiago Splitter, the 7-footer the Spurs took in the first round in 2007, was going to stay in Spain, his emotions were mixed.

“That was bad for the Spurs,” Mahinmi said, a trace of a smile creeping up on the corners of his mouth, “but a big opportunity for me.”

What Mahinmi, a 21-year-old, 6-foot-11 center-forward, does this summer is vital for a team that hopes to build a future foundation while retaining its status as one of the NBA’s elite.

Indeed, nothing is quite as important for the Spurs in the summer league as getting a feel for what they can expect next season from Mahinmi, their first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Mahinmi remains a work in progress. He has the size and athleticism to become a solid contributor in the NBA, but still has much to learn. Though he played four seasons with pro teams in France before signing a rookie-scale contract with the Spurs last summer, his NBA résumé consists of six games, during which he scored 21 points and grabbed five rebounds.

A season with the Austin Toros of the NBA’s Development League was encouraging. Mahinmi averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds and helped the Toros reach the D-League’s championship series.

This summer, with regular-rotation big men Kurt Thomas and Robert Horry both unrestricted free agents, the Spurs hope to learn enough about Mahinmi to know whether he merits a spot on the 12-man roster or needs more development in Austin.

Thus far, coach Gregg Popovich likes what Mahinmi has shown in Las Vegas.

“I continue to be impressed with his progress,” Popovich said after the Spurs defeated the New York Knicks in a Wednesday afternoon game here. “The first day I saw him here, up to now, I’d say he’s made significant progress. His understanding of the game, his physical body, his skill set, and his ability to understand  team defense have improved.”

Mahinmi and 2008 first-round pick George Hill were the only Spurs summer leaguers who averaged more than 30 minutes in the first three games. Popovich and summer league head coach Mike Budenholzer held both players out of Thursday’s game against the Suns.

In his three games in Las Vegas, Mahinmi averaged 14.0 points, but the Spurs didn’t travel to the desert hoping to see offense.

“His role for us, whether he plays a lot now, or in the future, is going to be running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends, and blocking shots,” Popovich said.

Mahinmi improved with the Toros, and Austin’s proximity to San Antonio allowed him occasional visits to the Spurs’ practice facility to work out with his NBA teammates.

Now Mahinmi has high expectations for the 2008-09 season, understanding he has not yet guaranteed his spot on the 12-man roster.

“Yes, I have high expectations,” he said. “I want to try to be a big rotation guy for that team. That’s what I want: to come out and bring high energy, my young blood. I want to bring defense, running, blocked shots and defensive presence.”

Quin Snyder, the Toros’ head coach, said he watched Mahinmi improve in each of those areas during 45 regular season games, and four playoff games, he played for Austin.

“I think the biggest thing was that he got to play a lot of minutes,” Snyder said. “It’s that, more than anything, that allowed him to learn attitudes about the game. He got to experience both success and failure, and how to handle them.”

Mahinmi admits he will be disappointed if the Spurs coaches don’t deem him ready for prime time. Yet he understands he must earn his chance.

“I’m so much more prepared,” he said. “Two years ago I thought I was ready, but I was definitely not ready then. Playing all those games in D-League, and being with the (Spurs) at the end of the season, seeing how you’ve really, really got to adjust yourself for those 82 games and that it’s really, really, really tough, that helped me know what I must do.”
 2008-07-18 13:42  #2

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
回复: Mahinmi wants to show why he can join Spurs

引用:
In his three games in Las Vegas, Mahinmi averaged 14.0 points, but the Spurs didn’t travel to the desert hoping to see offense.

“His role for us, whether he plays a lot now, or in the future, is going to be running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends, and blocking shots,” Popovich said.

以 Tyson Chandler 为模板?
 2008-07-18 16:59  #3
球童

加入日期: 2008-04-26
帖子: 87
现金: 0 盾
回复: Mahinmi wants to show why he can join Spurs

引用:
作者 Riverwalkman:
“I’m so much more prepared,” he said. “Two years ago I thought I was ready, but I was definitely not ready then. Playing all those games in D-League, and being with the (Spurs) at the end of the season, seeing how you’ve really, really got to adjust yourself for those 82 games and that it’s really, really, really tough, that helped me know what I must do.”

Mahinmi又成长了,不只是技术与身体,还有心态
caibolin离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转