2009-06-24 17:35  #1
裁判

加入日期: 2007-01-18
帖子: 487
现金: 4638 盾
[转帖]Bowen says San Antonio will always be home

Bowen says San Antonio will always be home
By Mike Monroe
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bowen_says_San_Antonio_will_always_be_home.html

Before Bruce Bowen arrived in San Antonio in the summer of 2001, signed by the Spurs as a free agent, he had played professionally in France, Rockford, Fort Wayne, Ind., then had stints in the NBA with the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers.

No wonder, then, that a few hours after learning the Spurs had traded him to the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday, Bowen declared his intent to remain a San Antonian.

“This is home for us, and we've said this time and time before,” Bowen said at a brief news conference in the foyer of Yardley's Salon and Spa, the business he and his wife, Yardley, opened in 2008. “I wouldn't do something like this (business) and then turn around and leave as soon as my contract is up.”

Tuesday's trade wasn't a complete surprise to Bowen. He had heard last week that his name was popping up in trade rumors.

It was, nevertheless, difficult to accept.

“I don't think there's any way you can prepare for it until it actually happens,” he said. “You're aware it can take place. Being that it is a business, it's hard to take out the personal feelings when you've been somewhere so long.

“I'm not going to sugar-coat anything. It's a different day for me, because I've gone to battle with Manu (Ginobili), Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker), at least those guys, for the past seven and eight years. It will be different not being able to look towards things like I used to with those guys.

“That's the great part about this game: You develop relationships, and they go on off the court, as well.”

Speculation about the three-team trade that sent Bowen, and Kurt Thomas to Milwaukee, in exchange for Bucks forward Richard Jefferson, and Fabricio Oberto eventually to Detroit, with the Pistons sending forward Amir Johnson to the Bucks, includes a presumption that the Bucks will waive Bowen and the Pistons will waive Oberto. The contracts of both players are 50 percent guaranteed, giving their new teams a chance to remove about $2 million from their respective payrolls.

If the Bucks do waive Bowen, he will be free to sign with any team, but he made clear that his first choice would be to return to the Spurs, were they to offer him a contract.

“Absolutely,” he said.

And if Bowen's days in silver and black have ended, he wants to be remembered both as a player who got the most of his abilities, and a person who made his community better.

“I really appreciated the fact the Spurs allowed me to come into the community and give my testimony and be able to start programs where kids are involved,” he said. “I have a platform as an NBA player, and sometimes we don't use that. But the Spurs organization, top to bottom, have always encouraged community events.”

And if, some day, the Spurs decided to retire the No. 12 worn by an eight-time All-Defensive team selection?

“I'd like that, too,” Bowen said, “and I'd love for my family to see that number raised to the rafters.”

Bowen era

A basketball nomad from 1993-2001, Bruce Bowen signed as a free agent with the Spurs on July 31, 2001, after making the NBA's All-Defensive second team in Miami. In eight seasons, he has become a player who one day may see his jersey raised at the AT&T Center.

Of course, the Milwaukee Bucks could waive Bowen, making him eligible to essentially stay in S.A. However, if this is farewell, here's what No. 12 has done with the Spurs:

* Broken finger limits him to 59 games in his first season — the Spurs are 47-12 with him, 11-12 without him.

* When he comes back, he starts a franchise-record streak of 500 consecutive games that doesn't end until March 14, 2008, when he's suspended for a game.

* Named to NBA's All-Defensive first team from 2003-08.

* In 2002-03, he leads NBA in 3-point shooting and wins first NBA title.

* In 2004-05, he averages career-high 8.2 points per game and wins second NBA title.

* In 2006-07, he finishes runner-up for Defensive Player of the Year for the second straight season and wins third NBA title.

* Leaves second on the Spurs' all-time list for 3-pointers made (661) and attempted (1,632), trailing only Manu Ginobili (672 of 1,789).

Source: Express-News research
lstina10404离线中   引用
 2009-06-24 18:01  #2
裁判

加入日期: 2007-01-18
帖子: 487
现金: 4638 盾
回复: [转帖]Bowen says San Antonio will always be home

下面是09季后赛唯一一场胜利的比赛中的照片!

lstina10404离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则