Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾
Vegas: Mahinmi's Proving Ground

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13298

By: Luke Byrnes
Last Updated: 7/13/09 2:56 PM ET

For Ian Mahinmi of the San Antonio Spurs, the 2009 Las Vegas Summer League is a way to repay the Spurs organization which has been loyal to him over the past couple of seasons.

Mahinmi was selected by the Spurs as the 28th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft and spent the following two seasons playing professionally overseas before coming stateside for good in the summer of 2007. After an injury cut Mahinmi's 2007 summer league short, the Spurs signed him to a contract and assigned the 6'10", 245 lb., power forward to the team's D-League affiliate, the Austin Toros. While in Austin, Mahinmi shined, leading the Toros to the NBADL Finals where the team fell to the Idaho Stampede.

Mahinmi appeared in just six games for the Spurs in the 2007-08 season but felt as if the season yielded growth in his overall game.

"My first year I really improved a lot on every aspect of the game, defensively, offensively, mentally, the rhythm of the game," Mahinmi told HOOPSWORLD.

Year two in the NBA would not be so rewarding for the young Frenchman, however.

A few weeks before the Spurs were set to open training camp in 2008 Mahinmi suffered an ankle injury and was unable to recover in time to play for the Spurs last season, opting to have surgery in January of this year and ending the 22-year-old big man's season. The setback limited Mahinmi's ability to continue to grow on the court as Mahinmi failed to log even one minute of playing time in '08-09.

"Last year, because I had to sit back because of the injury, I really improved as a person," Mahinmi said. "Getting to learn my teammates and getting to learn myself, it was interesting. Even though I didn't really improve my game because I couldn't really play, but as a person I feel I have grown up a lot."

With the departure of Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas to the Milwaukee Bucks in the trade which brought Richard Jefferson to the Spurs this summer, Mahnimi has an opportunity finally crack the Spurs rotation in 2009-10. Before he can realize that dream, however, he must show the Spurs he is healthy and is attempting to do just that with the Spurs summer league team in Las Vegas.

"It feels great," Mahinmi said after his first summer league game. "I've been waiting a long time for that. Obviously with my broken ankle last year was a tough season for me. I'm really excited about playing summer league. It has been a year and that was my first game really playing, up and down, at a high level."

Mahinmi played nearly 25 minutes in the Spurs victory over the New Orleans Hornets and, despite showing some rust, showed the skill and athleticism that made him a first round draft pick four years ago while scoring eight points, grabbing four rebounds and blocking one shot in his first action in nearly a year and a half.

"I'm not worried about making shots or missing shots," Mahinmi continued. "I just want to run up and down the floor and get my feeling on the floor. I knew my first game was going to be like that, trying to get my feeling back. It definitely feels good to run up and down the floor against those guys."

As he works his way back into game shape, Mahinmi is mindful of what the Spurs coaching staff and front office wants to see out of him this summer.

"They just want to see me playing defense," he said. "They want to see me rebound. They want to see me being a mother for everybody because I have been here three years so I should be an example. They want to see leadership and all that so that is what I try to bring to the team: being an example for the rest of the guys."

Mahinmi is confident in his skills and is taking a patient approach to getting back to the NBA full-time and, hopefully, cracking the Spurs rotation.

"I'm 100 percent confident. I miss a little bit of explosion because of being in a cast and a boot for a long time, but I'm 100 percent confident," Mahinmi said. "My first goal is to have a good summer league, be healthy and all of that. After that, work hard this summer getting myself ready for training camp. After that, just staying confident and finding my spot on the team and finding myself on the team. How can I help the team? That is my main goal. I really want to be a part of the rotation next season."

The Spurs have been patient with Mahinmi through his struggles with injuries over the past two seasons and he is not only thankful but also determined to reward the Spurs for their investment in him.

"I'm glad I got drafted by the Spurs because they never gave up on me even though I had to sit out last year because of the injury," Mahinmi explained. "They stayed with me the whole time. They stayed positive with me. They really did everything they could. I'm blessed and thankful for all they did for me. It is crazy. I've never been on any team that took care of me like that. Now I just want to return the favor and work hard and show them that I can help their team win."

The Las Vegas Summer League will go a long way to proving Mahinmi is healthy enough to contribute for the Spurs this season and, while he wasn't dominant in his first game, Mahinmi intends to capitalize on the opportunity.
 2009-07-22 20:41  #2
believe

界灵fsa的头像

加入日期: 2006-09-02
帖子: 3235
现金: 161 盾
回复: Vegas: Mahinmi's Proving Ground

这张帖居然没回复,而且没人翻译……
界灵fsa离线中   引用
 2009-07-22 23:29  #3

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27