2009-09-07 01:39  #1
管理员

加入日期: 2004-04-25
帖子: 4429
现金: 40 盾
香瓜 荣获 2005-06 Fantasy NBA ChinaSpurs 联赛第13名
[Express-News] Admiral anchored a franchise

By Mike Monroe - Express-News

It is nearly impossible to overstate the impact David Maurice Robinson had on the sports landscape of South Texas, but it is simple to try.

Imagine San Antonio without the Spurs.

Robinson is scheduled for enshrinement Friday into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He will be honored in Springfield, Mass., the birthplace of basketball, for his achievements on the court: These include two NBA championships, two Olympic gold medals, one NBA Most Valuable Player award, 20,790 career points, 10,497 career rebounds and 2,954 career blocks.

Robinson's most enduring basketball achievement, however, can't be quantified. He was pro basketball's savior in San Antonio.

“Certainly, David saved the NBA for San Antonio,” said B.J. “Red” McCombs, a member of the Spurs' ownership group that drafted Robinson in 1987. “I truly believe we would not have been able to continue to operate if we had not had something dramatic happen.”

Drafting, and signing, Robinson was the drama McCombs required.

Though flattered by the notion, Robinson's humility prevents acknowledging his starring role in the play.

“That's a very nice thing to say,” Robinson said. “Obviously, a lot of people had a say-so in basketball staying in San Antonio. But I think I got a great sense of the situation the first time I came down and had a meeting with (then-owner) Angelo (Drossos), about the state of basketball in San Antonio, and that they were very concerned about the team not being here.

“So, looking back on it now, and seeing where we've come, all those many years ago, I'm very, very happy and very proud of what we've accomplished and what we've been able to build.”

What Robinson helped construct was one of the most successful franchises in all of professional sports. Four championship banners hang from the rafters at the AT&T Center, the first two secured with the significant help of “The Admiral,” as Robinson was known, then and now.

“Everywhere I go where people know San Antonio, they know the Spurs,” he said. “So, I can't imagine the city without them.”

Robinson's impact spread beyond basketball, too.

David Robinson gave people a reason to go to San Antonio,” said Avery Johnson, Robinson's good friend and former Spurs teammate. “His success in putting the Spurs on the map as a legitimate playoff contender made more people want go on down to the River Walk. The city of San Antonio and all of South Texas benefited from David Robinson being drafted by the Spurs.”

Wooing process

Without Robinson, the Spurs had struggled through the mid-1980s.

Before they made Robinson the No. 1 overall pick of the 1987 draft out of the U.S. Naval Academy, the Spurs had just completed their fourth consecutive non-winning season. Attendance lagged.

“We had fallen off in season ticket sales, and the team wasn't performing well,” McCombs said.

Attitudes about the Spurs began to change as soon as Robinson was drafted.

The basketball decision to draft the athletic, 7-foot-1 Robinson was easy, but his military status made things dicey. He had a two-year commitment to serve in the U.S. Navy after graduating from Annapolis. If the Spurs couldn't sign him before the two years were up, he could become a free agent.

Some teams didn't wait before letting Robinson know they wanted him, a violation of NBA rules.

“We knew there had been tampering by other clubs,” McCombs said. “You can't prove it, but it was well known he was going to do his two-year (military) commitment, and there were other clubs trying to interest him in waiting for them.”

In response, McCombs organized an event to show Robinson just how much he was valued in the Alamo City. He brought Robinson and his agent, Lee Fentress, to San Antonio for a visit before the start of the 1987-88 season.

McCombs calls Robinson's selection of Fentress, an agent regarded for his impeccable integrity, the most important factor in the Spurs' successful pursuit of a contract. But McCombs believes the community proved to Robinson how welcome he would be.

“Henry Cisneros was mayor, and I told Henry we had to turn out people like never before and make David ‘King For A Weekend,'” McCombs said.

Indeed, Robinson was treated like royalty. The civic outpouring of goodwill had the desired effect, but so did the commitment promised by the Spurs to put a championship-caliber team around Robinson.

“They did the parade and the river and flew me around the city in a helicopter,” Robinson said. “That was all very exciting. Obviously, that has an impression on you as a young guy. But I was focused more on the basketball side. Can we build? Is this really a team that's one we can make into something? I felt like we could.”

Robinson signed his first Spurs contract on Nov. 6, 1987. The deal paid him a minimal salary during his two years of military service, then was heavily back-loaded once he began playing. Eventually, it guaranteed he always would be one of the league's highest-paid players.

McCombs bought out the rest of the Spurs' ownership group, then made another move he considered vital to the survival of the franchise in San Antonio: hiring Larry Brown, fresh off coaching the Kansas Jayhawks to the NCAA title, as head coach.

McCombs believed Brown's presence was crucial to the Spurs' turnaround and knew the prospect of Robinson's arrival was the lure he needed to land him.

“Larry wasn't really interested in San Antonio,” McCombs said. “It was where the Baseline Bums had thrown guacamole on his head. But he was interested in coaching David. The deal with Larry wouldn't have happened without David.”

Brown, who will be one of two presenters at Robinson's enshrinement ceremony this week, regards the opportunity to work with Robinson as one of the highlights of his Hall of Fame coaching career.

“I don't doubt that David was the one that saved that franchise, or helped it get where it is today, as good as any franchise in the league,” Brown said. “Not only the fact he was a great player, but he was an unbelievable young man and stood for all the things we all value.

“I stand for a lot of things as a coach, and he embodied all of those. Anyone who talks about good people and role models, he is everything you want in those. Sometimes when you talk about how good a person he was, I think it takes away from how good he was as a basketball player.”

How good he would become was immediately apparent. He averaged 24.3 points and 12.0 rebounds in a 1989-90 NBA Rookie of the Year season that produced 56 victories.

Thirteen years, two titles and one Tim Duncan later, Robinson left the Spurs as one of pro sports' best franchises — and still situated in San Antonio.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Admiral_anchored_a_franchise.htmlDavid Robinson
香瓜离线中   引用
 2009-09-07 01:42  #2
管理员

回复: [Express-News] Admiral anchored a franchise

现在才明白看到的资料上 Robinson 在1987-1989服兵役期间就开始从马刺薪水了。

https://www.chinaspurs.com/specials/david_robinson/salaries.html
香瓜离线中   引用
 2009-09-07 20:57  #3

Riverwalkman的头像

加入日期: 2008-04-27
帖子: 3506
现金: 315 盾

87年薪水最高的球员Patrick Ewing也不过275w,大鸟180w。

David Robinson虽然服役马刺还是和他签了一个逐年递增的合同(刚查了一下back-loaded大概就是指逐年递增)。头两年200w,到第三年激增至163w(预计)。
 2009-09-07 22:58  #4
管理员

back-loaded 是和 front-loaded 相对的。

front-loaded 有两种,1 是指每年的薪水是递减的(一是给球员好处;二是用来调整球队的薪金总额,尽量防止球队这两年薪金总额很低,过两年随着续约新秀合同一下子增加了很多);2 是指一个赛季里每个月的薪水发放是递减的——也就是赛季刚开始,球队就可能给了球员本赛季的大部分薪水。

前两年我刺的 Elson 就是 front-loaded 合同。
香瓜离线中   引用

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转