刺猬

秦七的头像

加入日期: 2007-08-05
帖子: 1836
现金: 1285 盾
[12.10 vs. Kings] Facilitator Parker notches double-double

Facilitator Parker notches double-double

By Mike Monroe - Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Facilitator_Parker_notches_double-double.html

Spurs point guard Tony Parker had an agenda for Wednesday's game against the Sacramento Kings: First, be a facilitator.

Before the game was five minutes old, he had five assists, contributing on all but one of the Spurs' first six baskets. He finished off the first quarter with a pass to Keith Bogans, who nailed his third 3-pointer of the period.

By game's end, Parker had a season high in assists (11) and his first double-double of the season with 18 points.

“That was my goal tonight,” Parker said. “Get Richard (Jefferson) going, and Keith and all the guys.”

Included among Parker's assists: a lob to Jefferson for a dunk and a pass that bounced off Tim Duncan's arm and into the basket.

Duncan appeared to put his arms up, almost in self-defense, when Parker fired a pass from close range after a drive down the lane. Somehow, the ball found its way into the basket.

“It was the highlight of the night,” Parker said, laughing.

BATTLING BONNER: Spurs power forward-center Matt Bonner has a well earned reputation as a happy-go-lucky, easygoing personality, but he has his limits.

Bonner appeared ready to go toe-to-toe with Kings forward Donte Greene when the two battled for a loose ball with 3:31 remaining in the game.

Referee Joe Forte had to separate the two and restore order before Spurs guard Manu Ginobili could head to the free-throw line because Greene had fouled him before the tussle with Bonner.

“Just heat of the moment, getting on the floor, trying to get some energy going,” Bonner said. “I don't think I've ever been in a fight in my life. I get mad sometimes, like any competitor out there on the court, but I was just trying to grab a loose ball, that's all.”

UDOKA RETURNS: Former Spurs forward Ime Udoka visited with many of his former coaches and teammates before Wednesday's game. Unsigned by the Spurs after becoming a free agent in July, Udoka had gone to training camp with the Portland Trail Blazers but was Portland's final cut before the season began. He was signed by the Kings on Nov. 4.

“Any team would love to have Ime on its roster,” Kings coach Paul Westphal said. “He works hard, and he's always the same, whether he plays or sits. And when he plays, he gives you everything he's got.”

Udoka played 2:42 and has appeared in 14 of his 16 games with the Kings.
 2009-12-10 17:45  #2
刺猬

秦七的头像

Jefferson, Ginobili spark Spurs

Jefferson, Ginobili spark Spurs

Web Posted: 12/10/2009 12:00 CST
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jefferson_Ginobili_spark_Spurs.html

The idea arose the way many outlandish ideas in the NBA arise. From players with too much time on their hands.

During a lull in practice Tuesday, Tony Parker and Richard Jefferson got to talking about Jefferson's former life as a prolific alley-oop receiver, and how he hadn't completed one

since coming to San Antonio.

“I said, ‘We have to do something,'” Parker said. “We had to get Richard one alley-oop.”

Less than 40 seconds into the Spurs' skid-stopping 118-106 victory over Sacramento on Wednesday night, Parker and Jefferson indeed did something about it.

Jefferson cut strong behind a baseline screen and rose toward the rim. One pass and one catch later, the pair had connected on their first official Spurs alley-oop.

Jefferson finished with 23 points, matching his total from the previous three games combined, and Manu Ginobili ended the game with a vintage Manu Ginobili spurt, helping the

Spurs stop a three-game losing streak and, at 10-9, again peek over the .500 mark.

It was a must-have victory for the Spurs, who were kicking off a stretch in which six of the next seven opponents boast losing records.

“We knew we couldn't lose this game,” said Ginobili, who finished with 20 points, his second game this season with at least that many. “We'd lost three in a row. Losing to

Sacramento at home wouldn't have helped.”

Parker ended with 18 points and a season-high 11 assists, starting with the early lob to Jefferson, who entered the game mired in a scoring slump and looking for a way to get

going.

Dunks were a good start. Jefferson had four of them. By half, Jefferson had 18 points, more than he'd scored since logging 29 against Dallas on Nov. 11, in a game the Spurs

played without Parker and Tim Duncan.

“For the most part, I just did things with confidence,” Jefferson said. “I like to believe the more I play, the more used to the offense I'm going to get.”

Perhaps the Kings just bring out this side of Jefferson. The last time he'd scored 20 points in game without Parker and Duncan sidelined? Oct. 31 against Sacramento.

While Jefferson often looked suspiciously like the high-flying scorer the Spurs thought they were getting when they traded for him, Ginobili looked a bit like the high-flying, game-

altering player they used to know.

When things are going well, Ginobili has been the Spurs' designated closer. He showed flashes of that again Wednesday, starting with the end of the first half.

Sacramento had erased a 12-point lead and gone ahead 54-49 with 3:24 left, mostly by outrunning the Spurs in transition.

A Jefferson 16-footer followed by a Jefferson dunk cut it to one. After that, Ginobili, scoreless to that point, sunk back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Spurs control.

For a fourth-quarter encore, Ginobili scored nine points in the final 2:14 to finally put away the pesky Kings (9-12). The nail came with less than 21/2 minutes to play, when Ginobili

got the ball in transition and completed a coast-to-coast scramble best described as “Ginobili-esque.”

He finished a swooping layup, drew a foul on Omri Casspi, and put the Spurs ahead 110-102 with a free throw. Moments later, Ginobili drove for a two-handed dunk that put the

exclamation point on the night.

Afterward, Ginobili said the slam-dunk contest between himself and Jefferson was no contest at all.

“Mine was a little less attractive than his,” Ginobili said.

Jefferson was impressed nonetheless.

“Him making those spurts and finishing out games — that's him,” Jefferson said. “That's what we're accustomed to seeing.”

The Spurs could get used to this Ginobili again. They could get used to this Jefferson, too.

“We've never had a player like him,” Parker said.

Wednesday night, with one alley-oop finish, Jefferson showed as much.
 2009-12-10 17:47  #3
刺猬

秦七的头像

BH[12.10 vs. Kings] Kings to Holt: No reason for doubt

Kings to Holt: No reason for doubt

Web Posted: 12/10/2009 12:00 CST
Buck Harvey - Buck Harvey

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Kings_to_Holt_No_reason_for_doubt.html

Maybe Peter Holt feels better after Wednesday night. Then, Richard Jefferson played like the investment he was supposed to be.

Or maybe Holt wonders if he made the right decision last summer. He splurged on a roster that is currently 10-9, and this went against what he once believed in.

But if doubt is going through his mind, someone has a message for him.

This person once splurged, too.

“And I don't regret a thing,” said Gavin Maloof, one of the owners of the Sacramento Kings.

The Spurs can still recover this season, especially if Manu Ginobili ends a few more games as he did against Maloof's Kings. Holt has always been optimistic; he stuck by Gregg

Popovich in the early days, and he certainly will now.

Still, the Spurs are currently ninth in the West, and the financial outlook is worse. Holt and his fellow investors will lose millions no matter what follows.

Maloof knows all about this. There was a time when he thought, if he just paid more, the Kings could be the Spurs.

There was also a time when he and his brother, Joe, almost bought the Spurs. The Maloof family had earlier owned the Rockets, and Gavin knew San Antonio well. He attended

Trinity.

So, with the late Gen. Robert McDermott as his ally, he and his family bid for the Spurs in 1996. Holt edged him in a close vote by the ownership group.

“I think it was a fear of the unknown,” Maloof said Wednesday. “They didn't know who we were.”

In those days, before the AT&T Center was built, there was reason for fear. Relocation was a real issue.

But the years suggest the Maloofs would have been Holt-like had they owned the Spurs instead. They would later buy the Kings, and they've been patient, involved owners in

another small market. They are also still waiting for a new arena in Sacramento.

The Maloofs didn't mind spending money, either. In the summer of 2001, they kept Chris Webber with a $120 million deal, and the team peaked the next season. The Kings won 61

games only to lose a heartbreaking Western Conference finals to the Lakers.

Getting that close, the Maloofs felt they had no choice. They leaped into the luxury-tax world by giving Mike Bibby a 7-year contract worth more than $80 million.

The Spurs were winning their second title then, and with the league's 18th-highest payroll. That's when Holt made his vow to avoid the luxury tax. He said he would not join the

“insane.”

What followed confirmed Holt's fear of fiscal risk. Webber suffered a knee injury in 2003, and the Kings were stuck.

Still, those in the Spurs' front office saw what the Kings did then, and they liked the reasoning: When you have a chance to win — when you have a special group — don't you have

to spend what it takes?

“That's it,” said Maloof. “You owe it to the fans, but mostly to yourself. Winning is the motivating factor.”

The Kings were never the same after Webber's injury. Their record dropped incrementally year by year, until they were the worst in the league last season. Maloof said the drop was

“painful and disheartening,” and here's another message for Holt.

“Maybe we held on to the dream a little too long,” Maloof said. “Maybe should have started rebuilding a little earlier.”

Maybe, on bad nights, Holt thinks about this.

But there's no going back now. Holt has already committed. He's losing millions on a roster that needed a fourth-quarter surge to beat the Kings at home to stay above .500.

Insane?

Maloof says it's the only way to go.

bharvey@express-news.net
 2010-01-20 10:47  #4
观众

加入日期: 2009-12-02
帖子: 5
现金: 0 盾
回复: [12.10 vs. Kings] Facilitator Parker notches double-double

楼主不愧是在世李杜,江南四大才子看到楼主的帖子都忍俊不禁,我也感慨在浩如烟海的世界里能看到像楼主这样写的这么好的帖子。
mydearbb离线中   引用

主题工具