主题工具
 2006-12-29 18:37  #1
Young

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
Defensive Spurs stop Jazz cold

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122906.01C.BKNspurs.jazz.gamer.368842d.html

Web Posted: 12/29/2006 12:26 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

With the Spurs minutes away from completing their most impressive victory of the season, Gregg Popovich finally turned toward the sideline, took three steps and sat down.

Popovich had been on his feet for the better part of 3 1/2 quarters Thursday night, barking at Tony Parker to pressure Deron Williams, encouraging Tim Duncan after he snuffed out another shot from Carlos Boozer. The Spurs and Utah Jazz cleared their benches and, still, Popovich continued to stand.

Only after the Spurs finished flattening the Jazz 106-83 — displaying the same type of formidable defense that had been lacking all too often in recent weeks — did their coach register the slightest hint of satisfaction.

"I thought," Popovich said, "I recognized the team that was out there tonight."

Two nights after Popovich branded them the franchise's worst defensive squad in eight years, the Spurs took a step toward reclaiming their ranking, along with their identity. They held the NBA's seventh-highest-scoring team to nearly 20 points below its average on 42.3 percent shooting.

Duncan set the tone with his interior defense, blocking three shots and taking nine rebounds to go along with the 20 points he scored in only three quarters of work.

"He wanted the game badly," Popovich said, "and he dragged everybody along with him."

Duncan's teammates made sure he didn't have to pull too hard. Parker scored 22 points while helping contain Williams. Bruce Bowen did an admirable job on Andrei Kirilenko and Robert Horry contributed seven points, seven boards and three steals while starting in place of injured center Francisco Elson.

The Spurs limited the Jazz to a total of 36 points in the second and third quarters, outrebounded them 47-39 and led by as many as 31 points. Utah coach Jerry Sloan began emptying his bench with almost four minutes left in the third quarter.

"Those guys gave us a lesson about how to play basketball tonight," Sloan said. "They took us straight out of what we wanted to do.

"I never saw us flop around to try to draw a foul so much in my life. I mean if we'd been an airplane, we'd have taken off and flown."

The Spurs, meanwhile, were glad to reclaim some of their grounded personnel. Manu Ginobili, Brent Barry and Matt Bonner, though still weakened by a stomach virus that had sidelined them during Tuesday's loss to Milwaukee, each played and contributed.

Ginobili sent Utah's starting center, Mehmet Okur, to the bench with his fourth foul less than a minute into the second half. Bonner scored 12 points, 10 of which came in the first half.

"We don't need to make much more of this flu bug going around and whatever else is happening," Barry said. "It's just time for us to start playing some ball, and I think you saw that in the way that Tony and Tim started off the game tonight."

The Spurs were coming off one of their most disappointing losses, having surrendered 114 points, 76 of which were scored in the lane, to the Bucks. Bowen felt compelled after the game to address his teammates.

"I said we need to make a decision," Bowen said. "Either we're going to keep going through this or we're going to have a long season."

Even Duncan didn't escape Popovich's wrath after Tuesday's game. There was sentiment both inside and outside the Spurs' locker room that Duncan had become too preoccupied with the officials and that his defense — particularly in help situations — had slipped.

Whatever transpired from the end of Tuesday's loss to the start of Thursday's game, Duncan apparently got the message that he needed to pick up his energy. When Williams tried to drive to the rim for a layup early in the game, his shot found Duncan's palm.

After blocking Boozer's shot later in the quarter, Duncan spun by Jazz rookie Paul Millsap on the baseline and threw down a dunk.

"I'm that last line of defense and have to be able to affect shots back there," Duncan said. "I guess I'm going to have to be more of a shot blocker and contester back there. That was one of the points that was made in our last film session."

Said Popovich: "All he did is go play. He didn't talk to anybody except teammates."

Duncan called the team's performance "a starting point."

"We realized our mistakes from last game, and we understand that defensively, we're going to have to be a much better ballclub," he said. "I thought we gave that effort tonight — the effort and the focus we're going to need."

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中  
 2006-12-29 18:40  #2
Young

回复: Defensive Spurs stop Jazz cold

Sick players persevere for Spurs in blowout

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122906.05C.BKNspurs.bonner.368893d.html

Web Posted: 12/29/2006 12:49 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Who needs antibiotics when you have Dr. Mom?

Not Spurs forward Matt Bonner, who recovered from a stomach ailment by administration of heaping helpings of chicken soup and motherly love.

"Luckily, my mom is here visiting for the holidays, so she took care of me," said Bonner, whose 10 first-half points helped the Spurs turn their Thursday night game against the Utah Jazz into a 106-83 blowout at the AT&T Center. "She made me the usual stuff: chicken soup, saltines, ginger ale, and she made me get my rest.

"You can't beat Dr. Mom."

Bonner was one of five Spurs who played Thursday despite battling a virus that left them feeling weak and enervated. Manu Ginobili, Brent Barry and Bonner missed Tuesday's game against Milwaukee because of the illness. It struck Fabricio Oberto and Jacque Vaughn on Thursday.

Nobody in the Spurs' locker room knew before tipoff what to expect from the affected players. Forward Tim Duncan said he was hoping merely that none of the ailing players suffer an embarrassing attack of incontinence while on the court.

Such an occurrence seemed possible, according to Barry.

"The only guys who know how sick we really felt were the guys who did the laundry," he said.

Once they opted to play Thursday, the five players had to forget their maladies.

"If somebody comes here and puts on the uniform," Barry said, "they're ready to play. They might not be feeling 100 percent, but they're ready to give that in the time they're asked to be on the floor. Obviously, each of those guys participated in the team win."

That the five ailing players contributed 42 points, 19 rebounds and nine assists was a bonus against a physical Utah team.

Not even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich knew what his viral five might contribute.

"I just knew I had to play them for limited minutes," Popovich said, "so we gave Manu a shorter rotation and Jacque. Brent felt pretty good yesterday, so we figured he would be ready to go. Fab, we almost sent home, but he wanted to give it a shot."

Ginobili started but played only 17 minutes, 56 seconds, benefiting from the lopsided victory. Bonner was the most effective of the five. He made five of his nine shots, including 2 of 4 from 3-point range. He was active on defense and grabbed five rebounds in his 19:29.

Input File ContentThe given include file is empty.

"Matt did a good job coming off the bench," Popovich said. "Not just scoring, but he hit the boards, was aggressive, played physically and really gave us a good push."

"It's easy to get yourself into the game, no matter how you're feeling," Bonner said.

"There's a system in place, and you play a role. After the first few minutes, it was all good."

Bonner wasn't sure how he made it through his first few minutes on the court, which came midway through the first quarter.

"I thought I was going to have a heart attack in the first few minutes I got in," Bonner said. "I was so tired, coughing up phlegm. After that, I was all right."

Bonner was still feeling "a little run down" after the game but said the victory helped all the Spurs feel better.

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中  
 2006-12-29 18:42  #3
Young

回复: Defensive Spurs stop Jazz cold

Web Posted: 12/29/2006 12:26 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

当马刺距离取下本赛季最漂亮的一场胜利仅有几分钟之时,Gregg Popovich 终于转过身子,走到替补席边,坐了下来。

周四晚上的这场比赛中,Popovich 在前三节半都一直站在场边指挥,不时吆喝让 Tony Parker 在防守时去压迫 Deron Williams,并且当 Tim Duncan 一次又一次地将 Carlos Boozer 的投篮扇出时高声鼓励。

只有当马刺在106-83完胜爵士——并且展现出了多年来引以为豪的、却在最近几周突然消失的强硬的防守——才让他们的主教练略微感到了一丝满意。

“我想,”Popovich 说,“今晚这支球队才算是有点像我的手下。”

两天前,Popovich 批评球队的防守是本队过去8年来最糟糕的,而今天马刺众将士终于开始决心重拾防守的传统、来证明自己的实力了。他们将全联盟场均得分第7的爵士,限制到了比其平均得分少了将近20分,投篮命中率也仅有42.3%。

Duncan 以自己在内线一夫当关的防守为比赛奠定了基调,他送出3次封盖,抓下9个篮板,同时还得到20分,而这一切都是在三节时间内所完成的。

“他迫切希望拿下这场比赛,”Popovich 说,“所以他(用自己的表现)来带动身边的队友。”

Duncan 的队友也为其分担了不少责任。Parker 得到22分,并很好地限制住了 Williams。Bruce Bowen 也成功冻结 Andrei Kirilenko,而顶替受伤的 Francisco Elson 出任先发中锋的 Robert Horry 则贡献7分7个篮板和3次抢断。

马刺的防守迫使爵士在第二和第三节总共只得到36分,篮板方面马刺也以47-39超出,他们一度领先了多达31分。犹他的主教练 Jerry Sloan 在第三节还剩下4分钟时就换下了全部的主力球员。

“他们今晚给我们好好上了一课,”Sloan 说,“他们在每个方面都做得比我们更好。”

“我还从没看到过这样的情况,我的球员频频摔倒,试图来制造对手的犯规。我的意思是,要是我们是一架飞机的话,那么对手都快把我们直接撞飞出去了。”

与此同时,马刺也很高兴能迎来几个病号的复出。尽管因为胃肠感冒而缺席了上一场对阵雄鹿的比赛的 Manu GinobiliBrent BarryMatt Bonner 依然有些虚弱,不过他们都在本场复出,并有所表现。

Ginobili 在上半场还剩下不到1分钟时,制造了爵士的先发中锋 Mehmet Okur 的第四次犯规,使其早早坐到了板凳上。Bonner 全场得到12分,其中有10分是来自于上半场。

“我们没必要把这次流感的意外插曲看得太重,”Barry 说,“该回到正题了:打好比赛。今晚,Tony 和 Tim 带领我们回到了正确的轨道上。”

马刺刚刚经历了一场惨痛的失利,他们让雄鹿得到了114分,而且其中有76分都是在禁区所取下的。Bowen 赛后决定为队友打气。

“我说,我们需要作出一个决定,”Bowen 说道,“要不然我们就一直这么浑浑噩噩下去,要么就打起精神来,让这个赛季越长越好。”

周二的比赛后,即使是 Duncan 也没有逃过 Popovich 的责骂。不论是更衣室内,还是球场上,Duncan 看起来都太过计较于裁判的判罚了,而他的防守——尤其是弱侧的协防——屡屡失位。

不管在周二的失利到周四比赛开始前发生了什么,显然 Duncan 已经知道自己需要重新找回应有的精神面貌。比赛开始后不久,Williams 试图带球上篮,结果被 Duncan 一掌将球扇飞。

在随后不久封盖了 Boozer 的投篮之后,Duncan 面对爵士新秀 Paul Millsap 的防守,一个转身走底线突破后大力灌篮。

“我是整个球队的最后一道防线,所以我必须去干扰对方的投篮,”Duncan 说,“我想我应该更多地承担起封盖的职责,不让对手轻易得分。这也是我们赛前分析的录影带中着重提出的一点。”

Popovich 说:“(今天)他所做的就是专心地打球。除了同队友交流之外,他不再和其他人去浪费口舌了。”

Duncan 把球队今晚的表现称作是“一个新的起点”。

“我们吸取了上一场比赛的教训,而且我们认识到了,必须要在防守端做得更好才行,”他说,“我认为今晚我们做到了这一点——这样的努力防守和专心致志正是我们所需要的。”

--------------------------花絮的分隔线----------------------------

Someone asked Duncan what he had expected out of the players that were sick and he said something like, "As long as they didn't go number 2 on the floor, I didn't care what they did."

对爵士的赛后,记者问 Duncan,赛前对于身边受流感困扰的队友在场上的表现有何预期?

某呆子说:“只要他们不拉在球场上,我倒是无所谓的……”

记者们爆笑……

随后 Tim 故作一脸无辜状,意思是:“我只不过是说实话啊……”

话说,他和 Pop 还真是臭味相投啊,我指,冷幽默方面…… Orz

(美俚语:go number 2 小便;go number 1 大便)

(录音:http://www.centralmediaserver.com/woai/tduncanjazz.mp3)

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中  

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转