马刺中文论坛
用户名 忘了密码?
密码 注册

马刺中文论坛 » 环球刺讯 » 5.31 Notebook: Oberto's decision to join Spurs paying off with trip to NBA Finals

主题工具
 2007-05-31 18:39  #1
Back

加入日期: 2006-03-07
帖子: 1540
现金: 192 盾
5.31 Notebook: Oberto's decision to join Spurs paying off with trip to NBA Finals

Notebook: Oberto's decision to join Spurs paying off with trip to NBA Finals

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA053107.03X.BKNspurs.notebook.3c7d3ae.html

Web Posted: 05/31/2007 01:04 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News

It's all right to call Fabricio Oberto "Fab," or even "Fabby," which is how Spurs coach Gregg Popovich referenced him after his 11-point, 11-rebound performance in the Spurs' victory in Game 4.

"I've got a lot of nicknames," Oberto said. "Fabby is one. It's fine."

Popovich also refers to Tim Duncan as "Timmy" with regularity, so perhaps Oberto is flattered by such similar familiarity from the head coach.

Oberto, who went into Wednesday's Game 5 as one of the Spurs' most productive players in the series, reflected a bit on the twists and turns of a career that led from his native Argentina to stops in Greece and Spain, with a short stay on the New York Knicks' summer-league team, before bringing him to the brink of the NBA Finals.

Oberto said there were problems staying with the Knicks because he had a contract with Greece's Olympiakos team.

"I left before summer league because I got into some conflict with Olympiakos," Oberto said.

"Sometimes, things just happen for one reason. I just don't think about it or any choice I make in that moment. I went to Olympiakos after that year; it was pretty bad for me. I was supposed to sign before with Benetton (of the Italian League). I didn't go there.

"Just keep the faith; I keep working every day. It was hard work."

Oberto said he chose the Spurs when he was able to buy himself out of contractual commitments in Europe for the purpose of being on a team capable of winning an NBA title.

Finals tickets on sale Friday: The Spurs will sell 500 tickets to each of the first two games of the NBA Finals beginning at noon Friday.

The tickets are available only by phone at (210) 225-8326 and online at ticketmaster.com and spurs.com. Fans are limited to buying two tickets to each game.

Robinson's measure of revenge: David Robinson, who owns a portion of the Spurs, paid a visit to the club's locker room after the game to congratulate the players.

"They got payback for me," Robinson said, referring to the Jazz's playoff dominance over the Spurs during the 1990s. "Utah beat us every single time back then. Lord knows we had enough bad games versus Utah. This is nice."

Robinson said he enjoyed watching the Spurs mature this season.

"They did a great job of getting better every month," he said. "It was nothing spectacular this year. They kept plodding away. The team's motto is, 'We are going to keep beating on the rock until it cracks,' and they kept beating on it until they accomplished their goal."

Encouragement from Utah: While waiting to enter the interview room, Jazz forward Carlos Boozer shook hands with Spurs reserve Brent Barry as he walked out of the AT&T Center.

"Do your thing, and get another one," Boozer told Barry.

Williams favors Spurs: Jazz guard Deron Williams says the smart money should be on the Spurs to win the title.

"As good as they are playing right now, I can't see anybody beating them," Williams said. "They have a lot of experience. I'm not going to say they can't be beat, but they play so well together. They know how to win."
秦南玥离线中  
 2007-05-31 18:45  #2
Back

5.31 Game 5 player spotlight, historically speaking, not in the box score, frozen mom

Game 5 player spotlight, historically speaking, not in the box score, frozen moment

Web Posted: 05/31/2007 01:48 AM CDT
San Antonio Express-News

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT

Tony Parker's hot hand in the first quarter helped the Spurs grab a 19-point lead that deflated the Jazz and set up the blowout. With fiancée and Hollywood diva Eva Longoria looking on, Parker, celebrating with team owner Peter Holt, scored 11 points on 5-of-6 shooting in the first 12 minutes.

27 -- minutes
7-13 -- FGM-FGA
7-11 -- FTM-FTA
21 -- points
5 -- rebounds
5 -- assists
0 -- turnovers

HISTORICALLY SPEAKING

The Spurs' victory put them into the NBA Finals for the fourth time. Only seven franchises have appeared in more, with the Lakers (28) and the Celtics (19) leading the way. The other teams with four or more appearances are the Nationals/76ers (nine), the Knicks (eight), the Pistons (seven), the Bulls (six), the Warriors (six), the Rockets (four), the Hawks (four) and the Bullets/Wizards (four). The Spurs captured the title in their previous three Finals appearances (1999, 2003, 2005).

NOT IN THE BOX SCORE

The box shows the Spurs held a commanding 10-3 edge in fast-break points. What didn't show up was the reason. Jazz point guard Deron Williams played with a sprained right foot, an injury he suffered in Game 4. With his speed neutralized, Williams struggled to push the ball upcourt like he did in the previous games of the series. The Jazz entered Wednesday's game with a 49-36 edge in fast-break points, but the Spurs took advantage of Williams' injury to slow things down and outscored Utah 38-34 in the paint.

FROZEN MOMENT

In the midst of what proved to be a game-breaking 14-0 run in the first quarter, Tony Parker caught Mehmet Okur cheating toward the perimeter and responded with an alley-oop pass to Tim Duncan for a slam. The dunk gave the Spurs a 25-11 lead and came 23 seconds after Parker nailed an 18-foot jump shot. Parker finished the period with 11 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the field and two assists. Duncan, meanwhile, scored nine points in the first 12 minutes, hitting all three of his shots from the field and all but one of his four free-throw attempts.

- Tom Orsborn
秦南玥离线中  
 2007-05-31 18:47  #3
Back

5.31 San Antonio celebrates Spurs' victory

San Antonio celebrates Spurs' victory

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA053007.EN.BKNspurs.fans.28109b20.html

Web Posted: 05/30/2007 10:52 PM CDT
Vincent T. Davis
Express-News

Minutes after the Spurs won their trip back to the NBA Finals, motorists driving down Commerce Street laid on their car horns, filling the air with screams and yells of victory. Commerce and Market streets were flooded with honking cars, with gleeful spectators, almost like the Game 5 win sewed up the championship, not just the Western Conference.

Melanie Deleon, 24, twirled a white Spurs towel over her head at the parade of cars passing by.

"I worked down and I stayed down here because I knew we were going to win," she said. Seconds later she raised her flag and started cheering again.

Several police cruisers flashed their lights, preparing to step in to help control traffic when it clogs up.
秦南玥离线中  

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转

马刺中文网 - 始于2004年 - 网站地图 - Go Spurs Go!