主题工具
 2006-12-06 15:26  #1
Young

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
Spurs' Elson trying to make most of limited playing time

Spurs' Elson trying to make most of limited playing time

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA120606.01C.BKNspurs.elson.3581fe0.html

Web Posted: 12/06/2006 12:16 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Francisco Elson heard the whistle, then looked in disbelief as Jimmy Clark gave him his fourth foul.

Elson had picked up No. 3 a minute earlier, and he didn't agree with that one, either. As Fabricio Oberto walked to the scorer's table to sub for him late in Monday's third quarter, Elson looked at the video board to see if his play on Golden State's Andris Biedrins merited a foul.

He didn't need to look long. Clark, who also saw the replay, gestured he made the wrong call.

"That didn't help me," Elson said later of Clark's admission. "I still had to come out of the game."

Having averaged less than 10 minutes in the previous five games, Elson wanted to stay on the court. But he also didn't let foul trouble keep him from contributing 10 points, nine rebounds, five assists and a block in one of his best performances this season.

"I've just been going out there and doing what I have to do to stay ready and stay focused," he said, "and not worrying about how many minutes I played."

That's wise considering he hasn't played many the past two weeks. With Oberto starting at center and Robert Horry keeping his role as the primary backup big man, Elson has filled in the cracks. In Saturday's victory over the Kings, he played five minutes.

"Fab's been one of our more consistent players," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I'm very pleased with what he gives us night in and night out.

"There's only two positions there, and Timmy (Duncan) takes the lion's share of minutes. Fab gets some, Rob gets some. There's not a whole lot left."

Popovich was pleased with what he saw from Elson on Monday. Warriors point guard Baron Davis darted past the 7-footer on one possession only to have his layup attempt swatted from behind. Elson also looked for his own shot — enough so that assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo jokingly asked him if his 13 attempts were a career high.

"No," Elson said. "I once had 25 shots. In high school."

The Spurs' coaches think Elson has only begun to tap into his offensive potential. He has a decent midrange jump shot and even banked in a jump hook Monday. His quickness also allows him to drive by slower centers when he's on the perimeter.

"I don't want to jump ahead," Elson said. "I'm just taking it step by step. I appreciate whatever they teach me and try to show it in practice."

Until the past week, even Elson's practice time was limited by the Spurs' hectic schedule, leaving him to learn from the bench. One month of watching his new teammates has given him a different perspective.

"The big difference is these guys have played so much together," said Elson, who spent his first three seasons in Denver. "There's no joking around. You see it in the huddle. You see it in practice.

"... Guys are like always ready."

The challenge for Elson is to be just as prepared. He helped beat Dallas in the opener with his defense on Dirk Nowitzki but played only six minutes when the teams met again Nov. 24. With Oberto helping spark a comeback, Popovich didn't use Elson in the second half.

Popovich has made it clear Elson is going to have to earn his time. While Elson averages 5.2 rebounds in 16.4 minutes, Oberto has provided skills the Spurs' previous two centers lacked: He can catch and make a layup.

Unlike Oberto, Elson doesn't have the benefit of having spent a year in the Spurs' system. His quickness and athleticism can cover some mistakes, but not all.

"I think he's still questioning himself a little bit," Duncan said. "He's playing hard, but he's kind of playing tentative right now. But he's coming along.

"When he's in a situation where he doesn't know what to do, he'll be quick to come to the bench and (ask)."

Elson showed his potential against the Warriors. When Golden State went small in the third quarter, Elson's speed allowed the Spurs to stay big.

On consecutive possessions in the third quarter, Elson guarded Davis 17 feet from the basket. The first time, Davis went by for a layup. The second time, Elson stapled him to the baseline.

"You can tell these guys have a high basketball IQ," Elson said of the Spurs. "That makes it so much fun. These guys are trying to help make you a better player."

Injury report: Duncan (sore right knee) and Bruce Bowen (sore ribs) didn't practice Tuesday. Both are expected to play.

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中  

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转