主题工具
 2006-12-12 15:01  #1
Young

加入日期: 2005-09-20
帖子: 6306
现金: 535 盾
Spurs Notebook: Most Spurs thrilled with return to leather ball

Spurs Notebook: Most Spurs thrilled with return to leather ball

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121206.03D.3DspursNOTES.305b16d.html

Web Posted: 12/11/2006 10:40 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

LOS ANGELES — Robert Horry reacted as expected Monday afternoon upon learning the NBA will switch back to the leather ball beginning Jan. 1.
He wanted to celebrate.

"I would have had me a drink or two," Horry said, "but we had a game today. I know there's a lot of guys on this team that ain't going to be mad at all."

Horry, Tim Duncan and Michael Finley are among the many players who have expressed their dislike for the synthetic ball.

Horry and Finley also entered Monday with the worst shooting percentage of their careers. Horry has been particularly frustrated at his inability to make layups.

"The other (leather) ball during the heat of battle, you could grip it easy," Horry said. "Now when you try to grip this one, it sort of squirts out of your hands."

Horry was surprised, however, that NBA commissioner David Stern decided to make the change.

"I figured since we started the season with it," he said, "we would go ahead and work it on out."

Brent Barry has made 53.2 percent of his 3-pointers this season, but he's also looking forward to the change because the leather ball has a "more consistent feel, more consistent bounce."

"I also shot well with that ball, too," Barry said.

The new ball, according to players, doesn't bounce as far from the rim, making it easier for big men to get rebounds and put-back baskets.

Duncan was shooting a career-best 55.9 percent entering Monday's game, but few of the shots he's made have been from the perimeter.

Duncan's biggest complaint was that the ball became too slippery when wet, which could explain why he was averaging 3.24 turnovers before Monday — his most since 1999-2000.

Tony Parker was the only player on the team who openly said he liked the ball. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich didn't offer much of an opinion.

"Everybody has to play the same ball," Popovich said, "so who gives a (damn)."

Clippers gain steam: Gone are the days when the Spurs could walk into the Los Angeles Clippers' arena and expect to see a lifeless crowd — and team.

The Clippers' success last season has made the team a popular ticket among the locals. Even if the Lakers remain the top attraction.

"I actually was walking around town in Santa Monica and ran into one guy at the bookstore, and he was saying he was angry at the Clippers because of the couple of losses they've had because he expects more now," Popovich said. "In the past, nobody would have said anything like that.

"(Clippers coach) Mike (Dunleavy)'s established an aggressive side of play and a group that really cares and wants to win and has stuck together. It is a different situation than it was a while back."

Roster moves: Backup point guard Jacque Vaughn remained at the Spurs' hotel Monday night after becoming ill with either food poisoning or flu-like symptoms. The team wasn't flying back home until this morning.

Popovich also put Horry on the inactive list to give him some rest on the second night of a back-to-back. Jackie Butler took Horry's place on the active roster.

Heaven in Hell
tinysands离线中  

主题工具

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码开启
论坛跳转